Has anyone used the CDCO glass scale DRO?

Wow, the iGaging magnetic DRO's are cheap. I could get my two axes covered for less than $90 total delivered. I know I wanted to the extra features of a full DRO system, but for that price difference, I think I could live without bolt-hole circles, offsets and centering.

--Mike

Note that it is more than just the functionality that is in a DRO head. It is the display and often the accuracy of the scales associated with a DRO kit.

The iGaging claims accuracy of .001 +/- 1 count and the display reflects that level of accuracy. DRO heads usually display four -- .0001. Do not be fooled by the display as the accuracy is not in the DRO head but in scales. My experience is that most of the scales you see advertised as part of a kit are .0002 and if you want to spend a little more money .00005 are easy to get.

Which brings me back to my original recommendation ... and the recommendation of others ... "and if the accuracy and resolution meet the requirements then an excellent choice". You need to match the scales and the head to what you want to do and the capabilities of you machine. There is no need to have .0002 accuracy in the scales if the work only requires you to be +/- .01 or the equipment and\or the environment will not allow that level of accuracy to be held.

For the G0704 iGaging may very well be the correct choice. I would just like to ensure you are making the choice with knowledge of as many factors as possible -- accuracy, availability, work requirements, functionality, pocket book and other items -- into consideration.

Absolutely. Running this machine in my installation (on a mobile base) with my skill (none) and my tooling (cheap stuff), I think a solution that gets me to something like .002" is fine. Anything better than .001" is a waste and I could probably put up with .005", though I hope to do better.

Originally, I thought I was going to have to spend $400 for a glass scale DRO, or about $340 for DRO using magnetic scales but with remote display. At that price difference, the advantages of the glass scales and improved functionality were worth the small price difference to me. Knowing now that I can get remote indication for less than $100, it swings the decision.

I figure about a 50-50 chance of converting to CNC at some point, so the less I spend on DRO, the better.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--Mike

Just to follow up: I did order a set of Igaging DRO's. They're not here yet, but I'm looking forward to having them.

--TR

Back