Has Anyone Used Mig To Fill Holes In Aluminum

There is some stuff out there that basically allows you to braze aluminum at much lower heat vs welding. I was skeptical but I had to fix a broken aluminum part a couple years ago and that stuff worked quite well. A propane torch and you are off to the races, no helmet required. I have since purchased a TIG but if I had to fill 400 holes I don't know I might try the brazing method.

Are you referring to Muggy-Weld (spelling) . I haven't used it myself, but have heard it works well. Several ways to skin this cat, lots of good info above. Mike

Don't think I would try to MIG that many holes in Aluminum unless you have a high threshhold of frustration. MIG will create lots of sooty oxidation immediately when welding and you will continuously be cleaning the welds before, during, and after welding just to keep going. I have some aluminum wire that will feed through the tube, but it is a pain to weld with even on a butt joint.
If it were me, I would find some aluminum or copper rod the proper diameter to fit the hole and cut pieces a little longer than the hole. Place it on a piece of hard steel table, drop the pieces in the hole and peen it quickly with a couple hits with a ball peen hammer. It will compress the material into the threads and fill the hole while making the surface flush. Then just a quick flap wheel in a grinder over the surface and it will look like one piece of material.

Of course, this advice is worth almost twice what you paid for it..... :)

Bob

Lots of great suggestions above.
Knowing the final use of the plate would help narrow it down.
-brino

I think if I had to fill 400 holes in an aluminum plate, I would go buy another aluminum plate without holes in it:grin: That seems like a lot of work.;)
That would be my plan also, factor in the cost of time and materials and you might still be ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back