Has Anyone Used Mig To Fill Holes In Aluminum

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I have to fill a lot of 8/32 threads in 3/4" thick 6061 aluminum. I have a Lincoln 180 mig welder and a tank of Pure argon. I have no experience welding aluminum but this seems like the fastest way to fill them. The parts will be painted after they are finished so I can grind the welds down flush when they are done. I'm just looking for any advice on how to get the best results. From what I have been reading some stuff that says to use high power and wire feed settings. I just tried filling a few holes after getting the wire and gas hooked up. The welds looked a bit sooty and looked like it may not have bonded completely. I don't have time to play with it anymore tonight but any advice on how to get good welds would be great.

High heat is one part of it -- Having a clean, fresh surface to weld to is also important. You need to use a stainless steel wire brush that has not been used to clean anything else to brush the surface, then weld immediately. Your machine might be a little light for that thick base material -- Good Welding -- Jack

You may have to reverse the polarity on your welder for welding aluminum, also preheat - I have used a small propane torch, makes a big difference. You may also have to use a Teflon liner.

Preheating will make a big difference. But a Tig is the way to do what you are wanting to do. I wouldn't even bother trying to do it with Mig.

I have miged aluminum... I used a miller spool gun.

Aluminum is to soft to run down a long lead of a mig cable, I think it will just bird nest in the welder. Thats why they make spool guns.

Degrees holes , fill with JB weld , sand smooth , etch primer , paint .
That's what I would try , the screw with locktight would prob work also .
Kinda all depends on what the parts will be doing.
My 2 cents

Need spool gun as a minimum.

Besides "birdnesting", the Al wire will get contaminated if run through a sheath that has been used for regular steel wire....

I just ground a few of the practice welds I did last night and they actually look pretty good. The material joined well and no pits or anything. And the part I used was dusty and I forgot to brush it so I think with good cleaning it should work. I usually use threaded rod and peen it over but I have something around 400 holes to fill. I think welding will be faster if i can get it to work. I'm actually surprised they came out as well as they did. I put a new liner in before I started.

Back