Has anyone modded the Gen 2 Belt Grinder Plans from Jerswoodshop?

RedOak

Registered
Registered
As we were seriously looking into putting together a badly needed belt grinder for our modest fab shop, we came across a video in which a guy was hogging away some serious steel from rough-cut components for a height-adjustable welding bench project. After I inquired about the horizontal belt grinder he was using, I learned about Jeremy's belt grinder plans...and, after watching his videos, I was pretty much hooked. As usual, however, other things came up and postponed the project until, naturally, the powers that be drove to price of everything working people need to make a living out of sight.

As we again have a project that requires some metal shaping, I picked up where we left off and have found that the motor recommended for JS' Gen 2 Belt Grinder Plans -- namely, 2 HP, low RPM, 3-Phase and Frame Sizes 56, 56H or 145T -- have increased in price in a big way.

We do, however, have a line on a couple of 5 HP 3-Phase motors with 184T frames that we can swing. My question is whether or not anyone has modified JS' design to accommodate a larger motor? If you have, I'd really like to read about what you did and how it worked out in the end.

By the way, I have communicated with JS and he seems to be looking forward to hearing about a 5 HP version of his design.

Thank you for your time.

Back