Has anyone made a set of boring bars for a boring head?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I know you can buy them, but has anyone fabricated a set of boring bars for a boring head?

Any photos of how you did it?

Thanks!

Nelson

I made alot of boring bars for the lathe and have recently made a few for boring heads.
I use 1144 sp tgp steel. I broach the square hole for the bit and offset it so the cutting edge is on center then mill a small flat for the set screw from the boring head to tighten on.
CIMG2083.JPG2inch and 4 inch x 1/2". 2" has 1/8"bit and 4" has 3/16".CIMG2080.JPG

CIMG2083.JPG CIMG2080.JPG

My pics loaded wrong. I struggle with that. The first is at the bottom 2nd at the top and 3rd under it.CIMG2085.JPGCIMG2086.JPGI see it's not popular. What got me started was the boring head build in Harold Halls Milling book. So I built one. I buily mine out of aluminum and put the adjuster in the body rather than in the cutter carrier as he did. I used a micrometer spindle for the aduster. It is a 3" head and I used it in my tailstock to offset and cut morse tapers as told by GaryK. I used a 1/4" dished shaft running in ball bearings and with a larger ball bearing between the shaft and the work instead of the live center as Gary did.
I then built a 2" head and with not much room for the mic spindle I placed it external. Then I built it in steel and eliminated the gib strip by sawing a groove next to the dovetail. It has 3 3/8" reciever holes with one at a 45 degree angle.
My latest in the last pic is a 2" in steel no gib and with 1/2" reciever holes one at 45 degrees. Most boring heads have a hole at 90 degrees I opted for the 45 degree as the micrometer head is in the way and would limit use of a 90 deg hole. Now if I could just build it so the top is nonturning so the mic could be adjusted on the fly...been giving that some thought it gets complicated.CIMG2084.JPG

CIMG2084.JPG CIMG2085.JPG CIMG2086.JPG

Back