Harig Surface Grinder Cross Feed Screw

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone ever replace a feed screw and/or nut for a 6x12? My screw seems to be a bit worn. Backlash is more than I like. Everything is apart for a cleaning, thinking about replacing the screw.

That's likely going to be a make it yourself proposition, unless you can find one from a parts donor. I looked into replacing the bent( but virtually like new, unworn ) screw in my 6x12, and it was $$$$$+++. Talked to Jim at JDS, and he said they made the screw and nut as a hand fit matched pair, and replacement cost was $700. Yikes. So, I took my time and carefully straightened it in my hydraulic press.

I ended up buying a 3' long 3/4"-5 acme 2c class screw from McMaster-Carr. I cut the screw an inch long and turn down the excess to 3/8" diameter. I then took a length 3/4" 4140 HT and rough turned the bearing journal and where the handwheel clamps onto leaving .020" to finish. I then drilled and bored a hole about .0004" less than the tuned section of the screw. I pressed them together and use a .75" long #2 taper pin to hold them together for some extra security. Back in the lathe, I dialed in the screw and finished bearing journal and turned section for the handwheel. Fits great but still .012" Of backlash. Had a few issues getting the handwheel adjusted and now I'm thinking that might have been the problem all along. I did measure the screw with a couple pins and does show where although Harig says their screws are ground and hardened, Idk. Way to much of a pain to put the original back on and try again so this one will do for now and I still have the original unmolested.
1713219365707.png

Last edited:
Will likely be fine, and just be mindful of the backlash if side grinding. The screw being super straight with little runout being more critical IMO. If the screw isn't dead straight and concentric to the nut, it can lift the cross slide/chuck at the high points and drive you nuts.

Back