Hardness Testers - Rebound Type -vs- Traditional Indentation

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Hi all; The son and I are thinking of taking some of his heat treated items out to be tested. We see there are many methods and options offered. Anyone have experience in the rebound type testers -vs- the usual indent types?

We want to test his 1/4" plate tactical type axes. Rebound required mass to function we hear and we did not know if several axes could simply be stacked? Or will the lab/co. simply plop a hunk of steel under? Wondered if this would skew results.
TIA
CG

some info from Wikipedia on each:
incent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentation_hardness
rebound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeb_rebound_hardness_test

Some sites:
Leeb: http://leebhardnesstesters.com/port...gf4aId3k_aXNW14IJ0NVrsd0t_zr5SNe_8aAiqv8P8HAQ
indent -

Before I bought my Wilson hardness tester I had the same dilemma. My advise is that you call around to find a local shop that would do it. Every machine shop I've worked at had a Wilson tester to verify outside heat treated components were in spec. It doesn't take a minute to test each part. I does have to be bare metal (no paint) where the indenter touches.

I've never hardness tested but the Ames portable units always looked interesting and I've seen some sell on EBay at reasonable prices. Maybe someone can comment on them as well.

I've used both. The rebound testers are ok if you want an approximate number and have goodnsurface conditions. They also do not mark the parts.

All of the other hardness tests put a physical indentation into the metal and require certain dimensions with regard to thickness, flatness, and distance from an edge (I don't recall the ASTM soec off the top of my head for hardness testing).

If the finished part can't be marked with an indentation, use a test coupon of similar dimensions to verify hardness. Or sell the hardness indent as a "verifiable mark of quality."

Before I bought my Wilson hardness tester I had the same dilemma. My advise is that you call around to find a local shop that would do it. Every machine shop I've worked at had a Wilson tester to verify outside heat treated components were in spec. It doesn't take a minute to test each part. I does have to be bare metal (no paint) where the indenter touches.
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some help. I have a Wilson hardness tester but I am missing the weights. I was wondering if anybody can help me replace these weights one way or another, thank you!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some help. I have a Wilson hardness tester but I am missing the weights. I was wondering if anybody can help me replace these weights one way or another, thank you!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I got a lot of extra "stuff" for a Wilson. Probably a whole set of weights a platen or two. I'll check in the attic and see.

Here are the hardness specs:

ASTM E10 Brinell Hardness
ASTM E18 Rockwell Hardness
ASTM E140 Hardness conversion tables

Great idea on the "mark of quality". Nice Touch FS. your reply is just what I was looking for. someone who's used both and has seen the results first hand. The Surface conditions seem almost mirror like for the Rebound. I'm now moving the Son away from rebound and into the $$$$ Wilsons and such. I do want to read the FAQ's on the post from John. Heading that' Away.

I've used both. The rebound testers are ok if you want an approximate number and have goodnsurface conditions. They also do not mark the parts.

All of the other hardness tests put a physical indentation into the metal and require certain dimensions with regard to thickness, flatness, and distance from an edge (I don't recall the ASTM soec off the top of my head for hardness testing).

If the finished part can't be marked with an indentation, use a test coupon of similar dimensions to verify hardness. Or sell the hardness indent as a "verifiable mark of quality."

Back