Hardinge Mill ID

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
This Hardinge Mill is coming up for sale and I was wondering if anyone would know what model it might be. I'm looking for a mill for my home shop and would like to know a bit about this one before bidding on it.

hardridge.jpg

Thanks,
Jack

hardridge.jpg

Decent small horizontal mill. Model TM/UM. The one in the photo has a vertical head attached. If it's in decent shape, could be worth $1000+. It was originally designed as a horizontal mill so check to see that it has a 1" arbor and arbor support with it. The horizontal spindle takes a 5C collet. I have one and use it often.

The Bridgeport vertical head takes 2VB collets up to 1/2", so you may want to check that those are included. It has no quill feed. The horizontal motor is inside the base and you may want to check what voltage it's set up for (mine is 550V 3 phase which was interesting. I run it on 480V). I see a switch on the left side, probably for the vertical head, so that may have been in place for a long time, long enough to have lost the overarm support for the horizontal arbor. On mine, the overarm is stored at the lower left side, over the motor access door, on brackets.

Thanks for all the replies. I did find another photo of it. Looks like the upper motor is marked 230v.
hardridge2.jpg

Jack

hardridge2.jpg

Considering the horizontal spindle is painted over, I would guess it hasn't been used that way for a very long time, only as a vertical mill. That switch with the red handle is mounted where the forward-reverse and speed levers should have been, so that stuff is probably not there either. Maybe there isn't even a motor.

If the horizontal spindle isn't working, there is an alternate way to get the table feeds working. I have a Hardinge TM.

Bernie

Back