Hardinge 4-Jaw Chuck.

MatthewT

Registered
Registered
Good evening. I recently acquired a 5” Hardinge 36 HC 4-jaw chuck. It has an integrated taper mount. I have an old Brown lathe with an 1 1/2-8 threaded spindle. Can I make an adapter to mount the chuck on my lathe? Thread a cylinder onto the spindle and then turn a taper onto the cylinder? There is a small set screw on the chuck. Mill a mating surface to accept the set screw? Am i better off selling the Hardinge chuck and purchasing the proper one? Thank you for your ideas/advice.

You are better off selling it. If it had a separate backing plate it could be fitted with a new backing plate to match your lathe. The Hardinge taper mount usually will bring good money on EBay. Then purchase what you can use.

Good evening. I recently acquired a 5” Hardinge 36 HC 4-jaw chuck. It has an integrated taper mount.
Could you post a pic of it ? I could use it down here if it's a taper mount . :encourage:

Could you post a pic of it ? I could use it down here if it's a taper mount . :encourage:
I will gladly post some pictures. I have company at the house today so it might not be until tomorrow. I would be happy for the chuck to have a good home.

Company comes first ...................................depending on who it is . :p

I might have a 3 jaw with a 1 1/2 8 backplate to trade.

Back