Harbor Freight chain saw blade sharpener ?

I'll bet I have close to 100 here from the last 40 years or so . Living next to a hardware store it was easier just buying the cheaper ones . The Stihls , Huskies and Oregons are getting pricey these days , so I'm using the files on them . I'm also looking into buying the buying the bulk chain and making blades . Any thoughts on this ? The Huskies go from 20-36 inch bars and get used the most .

He had the chain resharpened and up and cutting wood before I' would have been able to remove it.
If you would've seen me yesterday trying to change out the 36" with cold hands . SOB , what a PITA . :rolleyes:

I bought one of those things but after looking at it some probably won't ever use it. I learned to sharpen chain saws with a file, back when I worked on a slash crew to make money for college. It's been a handy thing to know.

I hand file, but I do have some diamond rounds for a dremel, in the case of a bad cutter. They are nicer than a stone, in that they don't wear. I got them in a machinist lots, and They are good for chains, or if you need a tool with a radius cut. I know HSS and Diamond = bad.. but they are accurate.

I have been hand filing for the last 40+ years. My experience is that the filed edge isn't as keen as the factory edpe on Oregon chains but it does the job. I am also particular about avoiding hitting dirt when sawing so a single sharpening can last for up to a cord of firewood.

Getting quality files is harder nowadays though.

If your talking about one of these, I think they're great.
9NHY6_AS01.jpeg

I hand sharpened for years, always slipped and cut a knuckle. lol Often would get one side different, sharper or wrong angle and it would cut crooked. I find this brings them back to as new every time. Even after you've touched the ground or found a nail.
Also came with the thicker wheels to match the harvester chain on my firewood processor.
I set up and sharpen several at a time.

Greg

I about died laughing when I saw I forgot which company had a automatic sharpener that you put on the end of the bar and ran the saw. My brother had ask if he should buy one and I laughed and explained how a chainsaw blade is sharpened. Don’t even know how it’s suppose to work???

If your talking about one of these, I think they're great.
View attachment 398493

I hand sharpened for years, always slipped and cut a knuckle. lol Often would get one side different, sharper or wrong angle and it would cut crooked. I find this brings them back to as new every time. Even after you've touched the ground or found a nail.
Also came with the thicker wheels to match the harvester chain on my firewood processor.
I set up and sharpen several at a time.

Greg
I think that's a higher end unit that the HF unit.

Reactions: jcp
I don’t cut much wood but through the years hand filed or replaced . Is this the HF sharpener you have ? https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-63803.html. I bought one to try because I tried filing my son’s Stihl , it seemed harder then I was used too . I practiced on my chains and it seemed to work Ok did his a few times already if I was going to get another I would spend more$$ but try it on some chains . If your not satisfied save those for when your cutting close to the stump or other areas that might damage a new chain .

As others have already said, it's far from a precision device. But I've tried filing, both freehand and with some guide tool. Very poor results.
If I was an arborist, I'd have mastered it. But as an occasional user of a small saw around our yard, the HF tool has done the job okay for several years. I bolted my sharpener to a short piece of 2x4 so I could clamp it in a vise.

Back