Hammond Grinder Bearing Help

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm cleaning up a Hammond WD-6 carbide grinder I bought at auction. I'm going to replace the motor bearings. One side had a 204 with 2 preload/wave spring washers and the other had a 5204 and one shim. The end caps have felt washers that run on bushings that mate up with the inner race of the bearing, both are different lengths. I assume the wheel butts up against the bushing.
Maybe there is someone here that has taken one of these apart. I can't find any parts diagram on the web.
What would be the reason for two different bearings? Would two double row be better than one? I was thinking on using two 5204's and machining a new bush for the one side.
Any thoughts?

Not unusuall to have one play the part of (thrust) and the other to play just a radial load function.
The load is primarily the operator pushing against the wheel.
Take lots of pictures or make a diagram.
Speaking of pictures.......

Here's a pic of the armature shaft with and without the bearings.
1686508202613.png
1686508158053.png

JTEKT
5204 2RS
Angular contact ball bearings - Double-row - Sealed 2RS

Specifications
(Boundary dimensions ...etc)
d 20 mm
D 47 mm
B 20.6 mm
r(min.) 1 mm
Basic load ratings : Cr 20.0 kN
Basic load ratings : C0r 10.8 kN
Fatigue load limit : Cu 0.560 kN
Limiting speeds(Grease lub.) 8800 min-1
Limiting speeds(Oil lub.) 12000 min-1
Load center spread : a 23.5 mm
Mounting dimensions
da(min.) 26 mm
da(max.) 26.6 mm
Da(max.) 41.5 mm
ra(max.) 1 mm
Refer.
(Refer.)Mass 0.158 kg

COPYRIGHT© JTEKT Corporation. All Rights Reserved

Your 5204 sets the stage. Meaning it's location on the shaft and in the housing are the prime Japan..
It is also two bearings facing each other
They should be preset and control the shafts backlash.
It can be set with shims to move the the hub in or out.
The 204 is a radial bearing, meaning it's purpose in life is keeping the shaft rolling straight, it has no capability to control the shafts for and aft movement.
Buy quality bearings don't buy by price.
I prefer antiques as I feel they are of a higher quality but there are still quality bearings made, mostly from japan.

Back