Halogen to LED Work Lamp(s) Conversion

I like the way you think, Will! Especially how Knipex tools make brighter lights. Fantastic result.

Now, as far as illumination goes, you've got twice the lux than is recommended for high detail/low contrast/high visual acuity tasks by the IESNA. That means the lights are so cool, you gotta wear shades!

@darkzero I really like what you did with your halogen light, what is the diameter of the light housing? It looks smaller then mine which are 115mm.

I'm new to leds and I was looking at some of these to get some bright lights to reach into some darkish places what driver would you recommend for them? Thanks for any info

@darkzero I really like what you did with your halogen light, what is the diameter of the light housing? It looks smaller then mine which are 115mm.

I'm new to leds and I was looking at some of these to get some bright lights to reach into some darkish places what driver would you recommend for them? Thanks for any info

Thank you. My lamps housings are 90mmØ not including the extruded fins.

Hmm, would need more info. Listing says Osram but it also says Cree which are 2 different companies, I'm assuming they are not Crees but no matter. Says 6v or 12v so I'm assuming the MCPCBs are configured for 2P2S for 6V or 4S for 12V. Wow, 4-8 amps! That's a lot of power & will require a big heatsink & a big driver. And 4800 lumens, That's a lot of light.

For starters, driver will depend on input voltage. Also depends on which way you wire them as well as space constraints. Will these be for machine work lamps & where do you plan in mounting the drivers? I have mine mounted in the lamp heads. Not sure if you will have that much room for huge heatsinks & drivers.

To give you an idea, I first ran my LEDs at 500ma each, that's 1/2 an amp, 10 watts. They were roughly 1100 lumens each lamp & they were too bright for me. They can take up to 1200ma. I lowered them down to 350ma, 7 watts, which puts them at about 800 lumens each lamp & is how I'm happy with them. Those LEDs you linked are 4800 lumens, 40+ watts! That's insane for a work lamp. Of course you can drive them lower for less output but if that is the case there are better choices available.

They are for moveable work lamps, similar to a machine worklamp but will be positioned approx. 3-4 meters back from where I am trying to see, which is inside transmission cases to get circlips and other bits out while I'm dismantling them, so usually covered in trans fluid and I find at times on dark overcast days or after dark it does get pretty hard to see inside trans cases.

Once they are clean I use lower watts light sources to see to reassemble them.

They will run off single phase 240v and if you give me a couple of choices say to run them at full power or 70% I can change it from full to 70% if I find them too bright......Many thanks

Ah I see, that makes more sense. I don't really have much experience with drivers pushing that many amps at lower voltages/not many arrays of emitters. I mainly messed around with portable lighting, flashlights & other battery powered.

Meanwell drivers come to mind. A few that I quickly looked at were the ELN-60-9 or ELN-60-12. Another one is the NPF-60D-12. There are many more options available in those series of drivers & they are dimmable. I'm not aware of any drivers that can push 8A@6V but I'm sure there are.

Also take a look at Cutter Electronics since they are closer to you, in Australia. They are a big source for LED stuff that I have purchased from before.

Excellent work, Will.

Well, wasn't planning on it but since I went LED on the lathe might as well do the mill too. Nothing much to see here, I went the easy & cheap way. $26 shipped (cheaper actually) from Aliexpress, bolt on. I didn't like the wiring so I rewired it all.

First lamp I got had glue stains on the housing. Ended up getting a full refund for it. Then I bought a halogen version of the same lamp for the housing which was only $13 shipped & swapped everything over. Surprisingly both arrived pretty fast. I have a feeling I might go with the same LEDs as I used on the lathe for this one in the future.

20200820_173524.jpg20200820_173557.jpg20200820_173933.jpg20200816_164044.jpg20200727_193705.jpg

The old halogen lamp.
20200816_144938.jpg

Back