Half Length Parallels?

I've used a bent cut down old hacksaw blade as a spring to keep the thin parallels against the jaws, saw it somware on the internet and lodged it in the memory for future use, good idea to run a grinder over the teath first :)

If your going to cut down the parallels they might not provide such good support, I guess it depends how the slide on ur vice is designed.

Stuart

I have a set of thin soft parallels that were made by just cutting up some flat ground stock. As long as I take care when using them they have been fine. I use a bent piece of shim stock or 2 springs to hold them against the vise jaws depending on what I am doing.

Banding material from tying packages to pallets is also useful as parallel spreaders. There are different widths out there, and it is springy yet easy to bend. I have never tried to machine it, but it would probably be easier on tools than hardened parallels. It cuts easily with tin snips. It bends easily for use as springy wavy parallels as well. It is also FREE to scavenge.

This may be a bad idea for reasons I don't know. I have a mill, but no place to put it and absolutely no experience with it, mill vises, or parallels.
Why not magnetize thin parallels so they stick to the vise?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I just have some pieces of low density foam rubber that I put between them.

David

Magnets are OK if working aluminum, but steel chips will stick to everything on the mill table if magnets are used anywhere near the work.

For spacing parallels I use these clips. They're used for metal picture frames, you can get them at a good craft store like Michael's or AC Moore. They measure about 2 3/4" and have a range of 3/4".

Bill

clip.jpg

For spacing parallels I use these clips. They're used for metal picture frames, you can get them at a good craft store like Michael's or AC Moore. They measure about 2 3/4" and have a range of 3/4".

Bill

View attachment 124785

Great Idea. And you can rivet any number of them together back to back for wider spacing. ....

This may be a bad idea for reasons I don't know. I have a mill, but no place to put it and absolutely no experience with it, mill vises, or parallels.
Why not magnetize thin parallels so they stick to the vise?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

The only flaw that I can think of is the possible PITA of attracting swarf.

Back