My son is a physics major and wanted a Gyroscope for Christmas. I merged a couple of designs from Clickspring to create a bench top style Gyroscope that he could easily power up to speed with a cordless rotary tool. This required a shaft that extended beyond the outer ring to apply power and meant using ceramic roller ball bearings instead of the cone style bearings traditionally used in toy gyroscopes.

I know this video is extra long. My son is ready to learn to do some machining and wants to try making one of these himself. I wanted to give him a complete set of dimensioned drawings, posted below, as well as a step by step video to complete the project. At the same time, I wanted to ensure everyone could see some machining take place and watch this full build come together. I hope this will help anyone who wants to make a gyroscope and provide enough detail that you can tackle the project.

It took me a couple of tries to find roller bearings that could handle the speed for this build. I finally found them at Boca bearing, link in the video description.

wayyyy toooooooooo long for my attention span right now. so I jumped to the end... very nice.

wayyyy toooooooooo long for my attention span right now. so I jumped to the end... very nice.
Yes, long one for sure. All that detail just for anyone who wants to make one. The end, or the other 1 minute video here is just the cool parts. :)

Do you pressure wash your lathe with WD40 after each use? I try and keep mine clean/wiped down... but dang bro. :)

Do you pressure wash your lathe with WD40 after each use? I try and keep mine clean/wiped down... but dang bro. :)
Ha! I do oil the bed/ways after each use to help reduce any rust here n Texas. All the painted surfaces I clean with Windex. My shop is small so clean is kind of a must just the move around.

Back