BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
My son is a physics major and wanted a Gyroscope for Christmas. I merged a couple of designs from Clickspring to create a bench top style Gyroscope that he could easily power up to speed with a cordless rotary tool. This required a shaft that extended beyond the outer ring to apply power and meant using ceramic roller ball bearings instead of the cone style bearings traditionally used in toy gyroscopes.

I know this video is extra long. My son is ready to learn to do some machining and wants to try making one of these himself. I wanted to give him a complete set of dimensioned drawings, posted below, as well as a step by step video to complete the project. At the same time, I wanted to ensure everyone could see some machining take place and watch this full build come together. I hope this will help anyone who wants to make a gyroscope and provide enough detail that you can tackle the project.

It took me a couple of tries to find roller bearings that could handle the speed for this build. I finally found them at Boca bearing, link in the video description.

Full Dimensions/Drawings for gyroscope build:

Attachments

• Gyroscope First Design Outer Ring v6.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Gyroscope First Design Starting Nub v7.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Gyroscope First Design Spacers v7.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Gyroscope First Design Lock Nuts v4.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Bearing Cup v9.pdf
    226.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Gyroscope First Design Center Shaft Axle v2.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Gyroscope First Design Top Cap v4.pdf
    141.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Balance Stud v5.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Gyroscope First Design Base v3.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Brass Flywheel v3.pdf
    299.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Great video. Nice finishes. Probably not for the kiddies to play with.
Thanks, definitely happy with how it turned out. Small kids likely not, teenagers I think could handle it. Here is a little better demo video of getting it started and using it.

That's beautiful. I am wondering if ball bearings are the way to go as opposed to small pins running in bushings?

That's beautiful. I am wondering if ball bearings are the way to go as opposed to small pins running in bushings?
I think a traditional pin point on the bottom and a bearing in the top would be the ticket. Ideally, zero axial load on the bearing to reduce friction.

Thank you. For this build since I needed the shaft to come through to use the starter I had to use the ball bearings. Had to find the right ones to make it work but they him just fine now.

Reactions: rwm
I think a traditional pin point on the bottom and a bearing in the top would be the ticket. Ideally, zero axial load on the bearing to reduce friction.
That may be worth a try. Can easily make a new shaft and bottom insert to see. May do that when my son brings it home this summer.

Why wait, I saw the extra material, make V2.0 and send it to me for testing!
Ha! Good point. However the project fairy came and already dropped some other to do’s in my shop. One day…..

Back