"Gummy" metal while cutting

...often times in steel it helps to make things as easy for the endmill as possible, for example, drill a series of holes a bit smaller than the width of your desired slot...

Actually I would avoid this because it creates an interrupted cut that can create much worse problems, particularly with carbide tooling.

Just bought 2 Kodiak brand carbide end mills, 3/16" and 1/4" from Amazon. Gonna try again when I get em

Kodiak have performed well for me - they last a long time in hobby applications. I would love to hear how your experience is different with these than the imports!

I agree with ezduzit, don't do the hole-drilling technique with carbide, just use them the way you normally would

I never like machining 1018, it does funny stuff some times..... I now prefer to use 1045 CR it cuts much nicer, can get a great finish and it can be hardened enough to scratch a file very easily....

Got my Kodiak 1/4" 2 flute end mill today and finished the job with no issues. I did all .170 DoC in one pass. My 3/16" end mill should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:
Should I use cutting fluid when cutting with a carbide endmill? I've read that carbide doesn't like cutting fluid or doesn't need it.

Should I use cutting fluid when cutting with a carbide endmill? I've read that carbide doesn't like cutting fluid or doesn't need it.

Its better to use coolant like Kool mist, Carbide doesn't like cutting oils.... But use what you have almost anything will work....

I only have cutting oil, no coolant or anything like that at all

Back