Guidance on asking for help with tooling ID?

thomb

Registered
Registered
Filling out fire loss inventory over the next week or so. I acquired tooling that I never knew what it was. Now... that ID matters since these have replacement value. I'll make honest effort on my own but I know I'll need help.

I have seen the occasional "what is it" thread - I have found those to be useful/interesting content I suspect others do as well.
But I am mindful about not wanting to pollute/derail a forum with a bulk number of these at once. Perhaps this is a moderators question?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,
Thom

No worries, post the pictures. If you want to post in stages that's fine, just keep them all on the same thread. You can start a new thread and not use this one.

Last edited:
Agreed with the above about not "cluttering up" a generic thread. However, posting photos may be beyond your capability. In my case, if I was facing a fire damage inventory, my models and electronics would be at least as high a priority as machine tooling. Melted solder and plastics, burnt wood, charred circuit boards, and the like do not photograph well. Further, much of my "stuff" dates back 50 or 60 odd years and hasn't been available for at least half that.

Bottom line, with my age (>70) and loss of memory, insurance is just a scam for another stranger to stick a hand in my pocket. My "household" stuff is insured, I think my (many "antique") books are, but the models and shop "tools" are not. Anything that can be called a tool, even if it isn't, is not covered. Insurance adjusters are touchy folks and their end result is not restoration of you. Rather their main concern is to cost the parent company as little as possible while maintaining an income stream.

I apologize, the "salty" attitude isn't helpful when you are facing a serious loss. It is just me getting wound up about someone getting my money for as little return as possible. For a commercial shop, the insurance is different. But for a household designation, even a serious hobby, if it isn't specifically listed ahead of time, insurance will not cover "tools" beyond a very limited amount. So limited that a drill press, a cheap one, will chew up the entire allowance. Never mind the lathe, and the milling machine, the grinder, and all the other miscellaneous hand tools of a thinking man's shop. Bad attitude, yes. But one based on multiple experiences.

I will create a new thread when I get into it...I spent several hrs today just itemizing a single job box full of construction tools. It takes a lot of time and I won't be a tough guy - it drains you emotionally.

Sorry I should have been more clear. These will be easily identifiable items. For example, purchased a full toolbox from a guy who's father was a machinist for a company doing optical type stuff . When I purchased my lathe from a shop, it came with a set of drawers that had a fair amount of tooling not related to the lathe - I think it was the dumping ground for obsolete stuff. That sort of thing...

Since my shop was small 10x12 and packed to the gills... I spent a lot of time organizing, and thankfully I have a good memory for "ok what do I have" type stuff :)

My private adjuster told me to itemize everything I possibly can. That's what they have been doing everywhere else. I am under the impression it's worth the effort, so I am going to "document every tap".

Please also post a link to the new thread from this one, so we can find it!
If you are unsure how to do that, just ask.

-brino

I doubt a fire would be hot enough to melt steel. I don't know if I would want take the time to document every single item unless you are trying to come up with a value to ensure proper coverage. You should be able to come up with a rough value off the top of your head. Add a percentage to be safe. Stuff comes and goes as I buy/trade/sell. It would be a never ending process. A video might be enough to prove you had what you say you had. In the event there was a fire, I would be most interested in what will be reduced to ash like the $10,000,000 cash in the bottom drawer of my tool chest or the Picasso hanging above the lathe.

...Anything that can be called a tool, even if it isn't, is not covered...
Care to share a bit more details? When you had claims: did agents point to any specific clauses?

This had been a concern of mine for years and I spoke to my homeowner company in the past on more than one occasion to let them know that I have a lot of money tied up in tools far beyond what a typical homeowner would have. I gave them a list as an idea of items and value and they said it wasn't a problem at all.

I agree that they will try their damnedest to minimize restitution and often you have to go thru a few rounds of negotiation.

All that said: every couple of years I go thru the garage and take pictures of every drawer, cabinet, and tools so I have a somewhat good idea of what I have just in case.

Closing the loop on this. Unfortunately, the metal storage cabinet and tool chests all warped, jamming the drawers. It would take heroics (and tools contained therein) to open. Given the overall condition of the building, I deemed it not worth the risk. I did find that I had at least 10 of these (didn't know what they are, or their use) https://www.penntoolco.com/187509/?... | Precise Expanding Mandrels - 187509 | $245 The rest of the tooling shall forever remain a mystery. Thanks again for the offer of assistance etc.

Again, very sorry to hear of your loss. As for opening warped cabinets, etc. ... If you really want to get into them, might I suggest you visit a local Harbor Freight store and buy a cheap angle grinder and some cutoff wheels?

Gad, completely forget about Harbor Freight for disposable tools. Sent in our first draft list yesterday, and meet with the contents adjuster team on Thursday. I will ask if breaking in for more list precision is worth it. Thanks!

Back