Guage handle constantly falling off

HSS

Active User
Registered
One set of my refrigeration guages has plastic push on knobs or handles and the low side one will not stay on. Every time I get them out of my van I have to look for the handle. I decided it's time to make a new handle, I am tired of putting the &^**% thing back on everytime I use them. I turned it out of 2" brass stock and scalloped the perimeter with an endmill in the RT. Since the handle shaft is a "D" shaft I drilled and tapped the knob for a set screw and used locktite to set the knob. We'll see how long this one lasts. LOL

knob.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Guage handle constantlyalling off

Would help if you dimpled the flat. Looks like a fine remedy....need to make the mate to it now. :)

First thing my wife said was "where's the other one?" I'll wait till it falls off or enough people complain. LOL

Pat

Too funny! At least you ought to make a Blue Dot for it, Pat.

Mine aren't falling off yet, but then, I'm not a heavy user.

I never had one fall off and I have some old gauges, let us know how long the locktite works. What made it fall off in the first place (abuse)?
Paul

Abuse???? Me?????? The old guage handles were held on with a screw in the middle of the handle like a water faucet handle, like Robinair, JB, or Yellow Jacket. This is a Refco guage set and the handles are plastic and push on with nothing to keep them on except friction. Everything is being made cheaper and cheaper. I guess eventually I'll make the other handle, but I was running back and forth between the shop and the bedroom where my lovely wife was rearranging the bedroom furniture and wanted a strong back. I got tired of running and locked up the shop.
Paul, the locktite was on the setscrew securing the handle to the flat.

Pat

HSS,
Come to think of it I do have one with a missing wheel at the end instead of in front. Some one gave it to me when he retired and it was old so I forgot about it, don't remember the make, I will have to check. I think it was small and made of metal, brass I think. I thought you used locktite on the stem screw, forgot about the set screw below.
Paul

Yeah Paul, all of the old sets had the wheels on the ends attached with pan head screws that were constantly backing out. The knobs on the front are a relatively new inspiration. Everyone is going to that style. Some are even powder coating their manifold sets to match a powder coated vacuum pump, LOL. Looks nice but I work with my tools and, to me, those are just eye candy. Best set I ever owned was a set of Jarrow Brenda (J/B), but they aren't the same quality anymore. Imagine that. LOL

Before I make another wheel for the manifold set, I need to make a set of knobs for my reclaim tank. They put crappy push on plastic knobs on the tanks now and they split and fall off. Does anyone use metal anymore? I need to figure out a way to get them off and on easily so that I can change them from one tank to another. I don't want to be making a lot of tank knobs.

Pat

Back