Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

I won't be frequenting this board any longer, but I want to be fair to the people on this project. If you want the base and two clamps I made, please send me an email (echristley@att.net) with your address. I'll ship them to you. My expense. You can ship back the parts you made, if you like (and it would be appreciated). I'm moving, and would rather not move extra stuff. My machines will be offline for a couple months as I get a workshop built. After that, I will finish my copy of the indexer, incorporating any parts you choose to ship; otherwise, I'll build what is necessary to finish.

@Shotgun
I'm not sure what you mean by "board". This Dividing Head thread??? The Group Projects sub-forum??? H-M altogether???
Please clarify.

In any event, best of luck with your relocation.

I received some very nice base pieces from Shotgun. Also the spindle clamp and worm mount.

1715094004116.png

1715094035489.png

I can see a lot of time went into these parts. My plan is to finish the rest over time.
I wanted to throw out a couple of ideas/issues to anyone still following this:
First- this base and auxiliary base have been machined with 3" holes for the trunnion but the plans call for 2.75". I am concerned about the downstream effects of trying to use these as is. For the base I am thinking of a bronze bushing with flange to get down to 2.75. This should be easier than other solutions and will improve movement. The aux base is definitely a problem as the 3" hole will intersect with the cutout to clear the gear shift. I will probably re-make this one part.
For the hole in the aux base, I don't see why it has to be so large? It is really just a pivot point. I am considering a smaller hole (1"?) Then I could use a solid bronze boss attached to the end of the trunnion and I would have bronze bearing surfaces at both ends. The trunnion is only clamped at the other end.
I have no idea how Shotgun clamped the base for machining the bottom surface! With the angle this is challenging!
Second- I need to buy a hunk of metal for the trunnion. I really want to find some 12L14 cause there is a ton of metal to remove. Obviously 1018 would be cheaper but might be a lot harder to work with.

Last edited:
I just order a chunk of 1215 steel for the trunnion. It is 3.22" dia so I have some room to play with.

Back