[How do I?] Grounding shielded control wires

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I have a question on control wiring going to stepper motors. I’m building a cnc plasma table control box. I want to put pluggged connections on the exterior of the control box so I can plug in the leads going to the steppers. The plugs I purchased are a xlr style plug 5 pin. My question is what would be the best and proper way to wire these plugs? To keep the lines shielded through the connection, or will it even be an issue? Idk so I’m asking first. Any knowledge would be appreciated thanks

Probably not an issue, what wire are you using?

Belsen 4 core with a ground and shielding. A question I have is do I take the foil shielding and wrap it with the ground wire and solder to a pin or just solder the ground wire to the pin and cut the foil wrap at the insulation?

That's good stuff, exactly what I used on my project. I wouldn't bother with the foil, it's probably in contact with the ground wire anyway. Check with a meter.

I'd just wire it up and give it a try, if you leave enough service loop you can always go back later if you think there's an issue.

John

Shielding is not a current carrying conductor, it should be grounded on one end only with the other end not connected to anything. It may seem odd but grounding both ends turns it into an antenna and defeats it's purpose.

Shielding is not a current carrying conductor, it should be grounded on one end only with the other end not connected to anything. It may seem odd but grounding both ends turns it into an antenna and defeats it's purpose.
So where would I ground those wires at the stepper or the panel at the driver ground??

That's good stuff, exactly what I used on my project. I wouldn't bother with the foil, it's probably in contact with the ground wire anyway. Check with a meter.

I'd just wire it up and give it a try, if you leave enough service loop you can always go back later if you think there's an issue.

John
Funny story on the wire. I need fifteen feet of it. I’m a closet hoarder “of useful stuff” turns out I have seven feet left over from doing some vfd installs. Doesn’t it always play out like that!!
So off to eBay luckily found a guy not charging an arm and leg for it. Looks like he’s selling off partial rolls. Was able to pick up 35 feet of it for under twenty bucks so not bad.

You probably don't need the ground at all, but if you want to you can connect it at the driver end

I have a question on control wiring going to stepper motors. I’m building a cnc plasma table control box. I want to put pluggged connections on the exterior of the control box so I can plug in the leads going to the steppers. The plugs I purchased are a xlr style plug 5 pin. My question is what would be the best and proper way to wire these plugs? To keep the lines shielded through the connection, or will it even be an issue? Idk so I’m asking first. Any knowledge would be appreciated thanks
As noted below, just ground the shield on one end to prevent any loop currents. If that is found to be insufficient, you may want to add a 0.001UF ceramic bypass capacitor to the shield's open end, and attach the other end of the capacitor to ground.

Back