Grizzly H5940 Rotary Table rebuild

100_0375.JPG

Here is the finished product the gear now meshes perfect with plenty of room to adjust for back lash none at this point the new gear fits the table gear much better the new gear is about 70 thousands larger in dia. than the old and the finish of the gear teeth are much better. It started of as a piece of crap but it looks promising now but if you go out and pay $189 for one of these this is not what you should have to do if they sold it for $50 it would be OK.. Ray

100_0375.JPG

Last edited:
100_0374.JPG

Well the new thrust bearings arrived I may just get this thing wrapped up.. Ray

100_0374.JPG

100_0376.JPG

Well here it is all done and ready to use it is just as nice and tight, solid and usable as any of its more expensive counter parts. It has been repainted with Hammer tone Gray all hold downs have been replaced with brass it wears better against cast iron. I replaced the excentric lock with a SS alan head bolt I did not want something sticking up above the table. Now do I think you should run out and buy one??? The simple answer is No not unless you can get it dirt cheap or in my case was a gift or for you that bought one and can't return it you just might as well repair it so it does not turn into a paper weight. Ray

100_0376.JPG

100_0378.JPG

I also made some new T nuts so it will now fit my mill. Not shown are the thrust washers they go on the bottom using the stock lock nuts the thrust washer is only $4 and they work really good.

100_0378.JPG

100_0377.JPG

Another veiw of the table lock I do believe if you make a new gear and make it a little larger in dia. you can forgo the milling out the lower thrust surface I was just trying to make the poor stock worm gear work it is not worth it.

100_0377.JPG

Thanks for all of your hard work details and nice photos.

Ray

Your welcome I hope this helps someone.. Ray

For those of you who need a manual for one of these I reviewed the 4" South Bend Rotary table manual from grizzly and it is almost identical to this table function is the same and some of the internal parts look the same here it is you can down load it for free. Ray

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/sb1363_m.pdf

Or this one will work as well.

http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/RotaryTable.pdf

or this.

http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/1811DividingPlates.pdf

Last edited:
Wow!

What a great thread!

I bought one of these rotary tables at the tent sale last year for $50. It was in the box completely disassembled and I never could get it to work. Now I may actually be able to put it to use.

I really could have used it yesterday drilling the six holes for my new Bison chuck...

I am very happy with the conversion it could not have worked out better if there is any other photos or info you need to get yours going let me know.. Ray

I have just cut a few gears with this rotary table and it works perfect. If anyone has this table and you need to know what plate and number of turns for spacing I have that as well. Ray

Back