Grizzly GO755- Rotary table question.

Yes, that is why you have to step down one size on the chuck if using a backplate. That leaves room for mounting bolts for the backplate to to the RT. So in your case you would run a 5" chuck. I would look for a front mount chuck even if if it costs a bit more. That way you won't have to mess with a backplate & gives you larger capacity with the 6" chuck (front mount).

Thanks. I will look some more. I definitely want as large of a chuck as possible.

So here is where I am currently at/stuck.

The RT table diameter is 5.91. I am looking at a 6" blank back plate and a 4 jaw 6" plain back scroll chuck.

My question is... how does one attach the back plate to the table after the chuck is mounted. I realize that I need to bore holes, but won't those be covered by the chuck... do I use a 4" or 5" chuck instead?

Thanks
-Kory

I've got the 6" PhaseII and I did it like this. I think RandyM was my inspiration.

12277480766_8a7961d178_o.jpg12277344444_806e974954_o.jpg 12261013155_b5c1a807d2_o.jpg
-Ryan

12277480766_8a7961d178_o.jpg 12277344444_806e974954_o.jpg 12261013155_b5c1a807d2_o.jpg

Thanks for posting Ryan, I was thinking that the step on the back plate was meant to allow a wrench in to tighten down the mounting bolts, but I see that I was wrong. I think that I am going to have to do it the way you have done it, or go 5". I can't find any chucks that mount through the face other than the SB mentioned above. Money is a pretty big concern for me right now.

My projects for this setup are mostly small pieces of tubing that will be stepped inside for bearings, and bored out to be tapped. I will however have a few larger pieces with large center holes (torus), but I would probably need a much larger chuck unless the chuck can clamp outward by spreading. So much to learn!!

I've got the 6" PhaseII and I did it like this. I think RandyM was my inspiration.
Ryan

For a minute there I was really confused. :whacky:

The difference in our two units is my setup is for 8". Oh, and I did pilot on to the indexer as well.

Chuck & Indexer.JPG Indexer Adapter 1.JPG Indexer Adapter 2.JPG Indexer Adapter 3.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Ryan, I was thinking that the step on the back plate was meant to allow a wrench in to tighten down the mounting bolts, but I see that I was wrong. I think that I am going to have to do it the way you have done it, or go 5". I can't find any chucks that mount through the face other than the SB mentioned above. Money is a pretty big concern for me right now.

My projects for this setup are mostly small pieces of tubing that will be stepped inside for bearings, and bored out to be tapped. I will however have a few larger pieces with large center holes (torus), but I would probably need a much larger chuck unless the chuck can clamp outward by spreading. So much to learn!!

I would have no issue drilling the holes through the chuck, it's only steel. As far as clamping, the jaws can expand to grip and also reverse to grip large diameters.

Dave

I am enjoying that grizzly rotary table immensely. You can't beat the bang for your buck. Don't be afraid to steal Randy's backplate design, drill holes through a cheap independent (not scroll) 4 jaw chuck, or make a plate to mount a smaller chuck. I spent $10 on a slice of 1018, $2 on hardware, $331 +tax/shipping, and used my 3 jaw that came with my mini lathe. My set up is as cheap and versatile as I can get for that money. Did I mention I am Well pleased with the set up?:))

Back