Grizzly G4003G

Akpolaris

Registered
Registered
I bought this used machine and it is filthy. I am thinking about dismantling the carriage, cross slide and compound and de-greasing and cleaning them. How difficult is this? I have the owners manual so I have a parts diagram to use as a guide

Starting a thread about your project will draw out the brethren here, and you will receive more advice than you could ever assimilate.

I'd keep my camera handy, and take as many photos as necessary, to remind you how it came apart.

You shouldn't need to take it all apart just to clean it. Do you have Coleman lantern fuel up there? (white gas)
It makes a great cleaner and much safer than gasoline, especially if used indoors

How difficult is this?
Depends on your experience, and subjective assessment of difficulty. For me, not too bad. Running two miles would be extremely difficult though. A first year physics problem might be impossibly difficult. Drawing a dinosaur would be very easy. Disassembling most things is fairly easy. Putting things back together correctly can be problematic.

Can we get a couple pictures of your prize? We’re all a bunch of gawkers to be honest.

You shouldn't need to take it all apart just to clean it. Do you have Coleman lantern fuel up there? (white gas)
It makes a great cleaner and much safer than gasoline, especially if used indoors
Isn't the flash point on that greater than gasoline? how about brakeclean? That dissipates

Not sure about the flash points. Coleman fuel is naphtha and evaporates slower than acetone but faster than mineral spirits.
Fairly low on the noxious fumes compared to gasoline. Sure easier on the nasal passages, doesn't stink nearly as bad.
The brake cleaners I have seen are toluene, acetone, sometimes xylene and methanol also- very aggressive on paint compared to naphtha

Zep "Fast 505 Degreaser" (available at Home Despot) is my go-to for cleaning up a severely gunked machine. You'll have a hard time finding anything that works better. HOWEVER, it is water based, so the unpainted surfaces that you clean should be oiled shortly after cleaning. WD-40 works well too, and provides a tiny bit more corrosion protection. A tiny bit. No really, it's a good cleaner, but it kinda sucks as a preservative.

Unless you have reason to believe that it has many hard hours, or internal contamination, I'd refrain from tearing it apart and just clean it well. If in doubt, drain the oil and check its condition before deciding on how to proceed.

GsT

Back