Grizzly G0704 spindle break in

It is good to have someone with the same mill chime in on this conversation without being there these noises on some of these machines can be deceiving. Just to be safe I would call Grizzly that way a possible problem has been noted, if in the future it is something uncommon pops up at least you have some early problem to point too.. Ray

Grizzly has had several products with the name 0704. One was a mill/drill and another was a small cnc-like lathe. Which one do you have? Anyhow, does Grizzly actually sell an upgrade package to convert the spindle and get up to 5000 RPMs? Wow...

BTW: 5000 RPMs is serious business. If this is a lathe, I hope you have dynamically balanced chucks rated for that. Also, for turning aluminum in the home-shop environment (or any other environmnet for that matter) I've been able to do everything at speeds well below what high gear can do with outstanding finish and removal rates. If you're getting poor finishes, try using coated inserts if you're using carbide and/or sharp HSS. Whatever cutting tool you use, spray with WD-40 and you'll see a day/night difference in finish. This is true for both milling and lathe work. What diameter parts are you making?

My mill stops-out at just below 2000 RPM and even with small endmills, it works on aluminum like a charm.
Hi Ray, Thanks for the response, The machine in question is a Grizzly G0704 milling machine,The reason I was looking at those speeds was for smaller bits 1/8 range requiring 5000 range.1 /16 th calls for 10,000, way overkill for tight corners on pockets. I hope one day to up grade the machine to full CNC capability. I know it won't be anywhere near a tormach but i believe 5000 rpm would give it more versatility . The upgrade is more a do it yourself thing I watched. I believe it was Bosshoss at G0704.com. He goes thru his bearing swap upgrade and switching to a 1.5hp motor that goes on larger Grizzly models. He also does a controll board swap. It looked feasable. Thanks again for the tips with the wd 40, I will actually get to make chips tomorrow when my collet set arrives. I accidently got the 5c set with the machine. The R-8s will be coming this time. Wow joining this site has been the best thing I have ever done. You guys have been a big help. Thanks

It is good to have someone with the same mill chime in on this conversation without being there these noises on some of these machines can be deceiving. Just to be safe I would call Grizzly that way a possible problem has been noted, if in the future it is something uncommon pops up at least you have some early problem to point too.. Ray
Agreed, Thanks again.

I too am a member of the g0704 family and I have the same issue I also thought about replacing it but decided against it until I do hoss's CNC upgrade but I love the mill being my first and all.

"When I got over 2100 rpm I noticed a rumble or growl that would go away below 2100 rpm."

After reading this sentence, one thing I thought of was,,did you check the motor for alignment?

Check to see if the belts and pulleys are in line?

Some machines have done that same thing, and all they needed was alignment.

Could also be the "nature of the beast", when dealing with Chinese motors.

Resonance.

I also have a G0704 mill. First qustion do you have a collet or the drill chuck in the spindle.If not it could be the draw bar making noise. Second put the mill in nutrale and see if the noise goes away. It is gear drive and thay do make some noise.

"When I got over 2100 rpm I noticed a rumble or growl that would go away below 2100 rpm."

After reading this sentence, one thing I thought of was,,did you check the motor for alignment?

Check to see if the belts and pulleys are in line?

Some machines have done that same thing, and all they needed was alignment.

Could also be the "nature of the beast", when dealing with Chinese motors.

Resonance.
No I only checked to see if motor was securely mounted. Never looked at gearing , I observed the drawbar which didn't display any vibration irregularitys at top speed. runout looked fine visually.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

I also have a G0704 mill. First qustion do you have a collet or the drill chuck in the spindle.If not it could be the draw bar making noise. Second put the mill in nutrale and see if the noise goes away. It is gear drive and thay do make some noise.
Yes I had the draw bar and drill chuck on when I did the breakin.One of the first thing I did when the noise appeared was to make sure draw bar was tight, not overly due to warnings,the other was to close the jaws of chuck completely just in case.I will try the neutral gear setting to isolate the motor and rule out bearings for it. Thanks for the suggestion

I too am a member of the g0704 family and I have the same issue I also thought about replacing it but decided against it until I do hoss's CNC upgrade but I love the mill being my first and all.
Maybe this is a common thing , Glad to hear you're considering the upgrade also.I wish I could do it sooner but the cost appears 4 times the original cost of machine. that will be a while. I noticed you hail from Oak harbor. I used to be stationed at Whidbey Island NAS in 74 with CBU 417 Sea Bees , pre Air Force. Nice place. Thanks again and good luck with yours.

I've found that most times bearing noise and vibration increase as the speed increases. The noise only occurring above 2100rpm suggests that it is smething other than bearings. This noise could be a characteristic of the machine. Another 704 owner or Grizz tech support may be able to advise. After talking to Grizzly, if you wanted to isolate the area the noise was coming from you could remove the motor so it no longer drives the spindle gears, secure it so it does not move and run it "uncoupled" at different speeds. If you still hear the noise it is motor related, if not it could be from the gears or the spindle bearings.

This machine would have to be pretty noisey for me to want to take it apart.

I recently purchased a Grizzly 720R Mill. At all speeds it makes an intermitent rumbling noise that increases in intensity as the speed increases. I think it is normal noise from the gears.

Mikail
Good call Mikail I ran it with just the motor and everything sounded fine. I also ran it up to max and no noise today. But I never made it past 2170 rpm either. That seems to have been the machines limit without 20 minutes of warmup.everything sounded fine on the spindle . Good call on process of elimination. Thanks again

Last edited:
Back