Grizzly G0704 power feed

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I have the Grizzly T23010 power feed on my G0704 mill. It has started only working intermittently. Has anyone run across this and know the fix?

I don't have one of those, so all I could offer would be some general guidelines.
If the unit is old or well used, I'd start by checking the motor brushes.
If the problem is in one direction and not the other, I'd check the limit switches and directional switches.
Otherwise, just do a general check for loose wires, etc.
If there's a section of cable that flexes "tightly", or if there's a kink, I'd suspect a broken conductor inside the cable.
I kinda doubt that an intermittent problem would be do to fried electronics, though I suppose a poor solder joint on the PC board might be the cause - luckily, that's something you can usually find by inspection.

What hman said but you might want to get some good contact cleaner for the speed pot. I also don't have that same unit, but there has been times on low speed on mine where it wouldn't seem to go and I'd move the speed pot and off it'd go. My favorite cleaner is DeOxit as it cleans, lubes and coats the pot and keeps it from messing up again.

It is about 10years old, but hasn't had a lot of use. playing with speed control and switches has no effect. I will pull the brushes anyway. I don't use the limit switches but the check good with VOM.

Well looks like it might be brushes. but Grizzly wants $10.00 shipping for a little set of brushes.

So not only do you want troubleshooting advice, but free shipping as well?

No I do not want free shipping. But they will put that $6.00 part in a padded envelope and ship it for $1.00 or less.

C'mon, kb ... kd does have a valid grump about the cost of shipping, considering how small and light a set of motor brushes is. I'd grump about it, too, if I had to buy a set.

Maybe offering free shipping for $16 brushes would stop the complaints?

No I do not want free shipping. But they will put that $6.00 part in a padded envelope and ship it for $1.00 or less.
I know, it seems like a lot but minimum for shipping a thick "envelope" is almost $4, not counting the envelope. Or paying the person who has to pull the part and package it. Much less letting this stock sit on the shelf for 10+ years. I'm not bagging on you kd, just trying to give some perspective as I'm a small manufacturer. The times I've bought stuff from Grizzly I was happy SOMEBODY had the parts and was floored somebody has the part for a unit that old and would be out of commission and would have to spend $200-$300 to buy another X drive. All for a $6 part. Most manufacturers would rather sell you a new one than stock the parts.

Back