Grizzly G0602 Lathe Rough Finish

Not my idea. Found it on HM. However, here's my thread on it, with full accreditation.

FreeCAD model is uploaded to the HM download area.

If you are having issues with that small of a cut, there's a problem. Something like a tee nut bur, or something else is loose somewhere. Have you checked the tightness of the saddle tension clamp 222 in the back of the saddle? Or the more obvious slide block 917 in the front of the saddle? Saddle gibs? Compound rest gib? Is screw 208 tool post bolt seated into the tee-nut? There's not that many places it can be...
Will check the saddle tension clamp. The slide block is tight for sure, jibs tight. Tool post is seated and tight. Thank you

If all checks out. May I suggest it is in the spindle perhaps. Might check and see if you have slop there while you are at it.

Cutting oil is my blood.

If all checks out. May I suggest it is in the spindle perhaps. Might check and see if you have slop there while you are at it.

Cutting oil is my blood.
just checked that today. runout was .0003 on my ten thousands indicator.

Turn OFF the lathe and UNPLUG it.

Place your dial indicator in the chuck in such a manner to be able to measure movement of tool post.

Place your tooling in as if you were making chips.

Bring it up to where it is near the indicator.

Place the indicator near the tip of the cutter and keep going until the indicator is midway.

Lock the carriage in place.

Now apply pressure to assorted places and look for movement.

Use a small hammer, no, not to tap it, grap ad hold the head and place the handle against the target.

This will assist in finding things that move.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Speaking of things which for some reason could be loose, have you checked that the chuck is tight against the spindle? The clamps only prevent the chuck from flying off, but the back plate needs to be snug against the spindle register.

@tq60 's method is good. You have to find what is loose...

do you get the same rough finish with both hand fed carriage travel and when it is power fed?

There is a YouTube video by Clough42 about a problem with his G0602 cross slide. Take a look and see if yours has the same issue. Basically, there was an interference condition with the dovetails. This wouldn’t explain why your lathe changed, though, but something to look at.
Also, I’ve noticed that over tightening the compound hold down bolts can cause the cross slide casting to deform enough to make the gibs looser. I tend to agree that poor rigidity somewhere is contributing to the poor finish.

Turn OFF the lathe and UNPLUG it.

Place your dial indicator in the chuck in such a manner to be able to measure movement of tool post.

Place your tooling in as if you were making chips.

Bring it up to where it is near the indicator.

Place the indicator near the tip of the cutter and keep going until the indicator is midway.

Lock the carriage in place.

Now apply pressure to assorted places and look for movement.

Use a small hammer, no, not to tap it, grap ad hold the head and place the handle against the target.

This will assist in finding things that move.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
great idea, i will give it a try, Thanks

There is a YouTube video by Clough42 about a problem with his G0602 cross slide. Take a look and see if yours has the same issue. Basically, there was an interference condition with the dovetails. This wouldn’t explain why your lathe changed, though, but something to look at.
Also, I’ve noticed that over tightening the compound hold down bolts can cause the cross slide casting to deform enough to make the gibs looser. I tend to agree that poor rigidity somewhere is contributing to the poor finish.
Thanks for the video, I will test per the video and see if the issue is with the dovetails

Back