Grizzly For A Beginner

Will do. Set screw just back out of the pulley? Any damage when the pulley flew off?

On mine it can't fly off because the cover stops it. It has been a while for me to exactly remember but I know it came right back off when I put it back on so I staked the end of the motor shaft. Seems like I was in a hurry when it happened & the work in the machine was more pressing then the machine at the time. It hasn't happened again since. The only damage was done paint rubbed off the cover & it cost me some time. I haven't had to many problems with my Grizzly buy they do need some nutting & bolting done.

congrats, now you gotta get ready for your lathe to arrive, and figure out what tooling to buy.

Did you order any tooling, and how are you set up for dial indicators?

Enco is a great place to buy accessories, but wait until the biweekly 20% off coupon shows up before you buy. :D

congrats, now you gotta get ready for your lathe to arrive, and figure out what tooling to buy.

Did you order any tooling, and how are you set up for dial indicators?

Enco is a great place to buy accessories, but wait until the biweekly 20% off coupon shows up before you buy. :D

Yah, tell me about it, I am still finishing up my shop. Plan to have my electrical inspection this week.

I placed an order from Enco last week when they were running the last 20% off sale. I have practically nothing, so I ordered the following. Please let me know what I am missing.

DTE Oils for Gearbox/Head
Starrett Machinists Level
Vactra Oil for Ways
Interapid DTI 312B-1
Import 1/2" Tool holders (5)
10 Carbide Inserts (from Ebay)
Couple of 3/8x1/2 HSS tool bit blanks
Noga magnetic base
import 6" metal ruler
import 12" metal ruler
Mitutoyo 6" calipers
An import generic 12 piece machinists measuring tools Enco PN 600-1000 (backordered)

Thats it for now. I know I am missing a ton of stuff. Anything major I need to get started, please let me know. Thanks for the advice.

Wire to hook it up. ;) Levelers maybe.

Do you have a means of handling it when the truck gets there? A cherry picker (engine host) may come in handy.

Any suggestions on levelers?

I have the harbor freight shop/engine crane, and I also have a tractor with a set of forks that can lift about 1000lbs...this lathe will be marginal for that, but maybe I can remove some parts from it to lighten it up.

---Aaron

That lathe is probably under half a ton so you should be good there.

You could cut a chunk of rubber from a tire &a blank of steel. Drill a hole half way through the steel & run a bolt into it with a couple of nuts to lock & maybe a couple of washers for easier spinning. Or you could just buy some from Enco out eBay.

You are going to want a travel indicator like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=5283730&PMAKA=890-9824

I also like a magnetic back travel indicator like this (acts s a poor man's DRO for cross feed or Z movement, you stick it to the ways with the point on the cross slide when you need to measure 0-0.100" movement accurately).

imageRendering.jsp?productID=4212&size=medium&extension=gif.gif

You also need to get a cut-off tool of some variety. HSS is cheap to start, but carbide insert ones work so much better.

That lathe is probably under half a ton so you should be good there.
While the lathe weighs 882#, be careful with picking it up with your 1000# rated FEL, since you will be near the limit, especially with the offset from the bucket attachment point to where the lathe is attached will reduce your load capacity.

The manual provides specific instructions how to use straps for picking it up, since if you put them in the wrong place you can bend the leadscrew, which would be bad.

The manual provides a specific hour long initial break-in process for running in the spindle, so make sure you follow that before you start doing some crazy cutting.

If you haven't used a gear-head lathe:
- sometimes it is difficult to switch between gears because teeth don't align. You can solve this by rotating the chuck by hand (preferred) until you can slip it into gear or VERY briefly tapping the JOG button to move the gearing a bit so it will slip in (stand by for the crowds that don't like this idea...).
- Also, sometimes you run into the same issue where you can't get longitudinal or cross power feed to engage. Rotate the carriage hand wheel (longitudinal feed) or cross slide handle (cross) slightly to allow the gears to mesh.
- When threading, you don't have to slam the half-nuts into position at the precise moment that the needle lines up with the threading dial. The half-nut will only drop in when it lines up, which might be a little off from the needle (and that is OK)... just ease it in and you can feel when it can engage.

Last edited:
Tim,

Getting the thing up the driveway with the tractor is what I am worried about the most. I have a 300' driveway with a bit of an incline, there is no way the tractor trailer can get up it my driveway, so that will be my responsibility. It is a gravel driveway so a pallet jack is out. My option is the tractor.

All I have to do is lift it a couple of inches with the forks and slowly move up the driveway, but it is still pushing the limits of the tractor.

Good news is that I have a set of real forks for the FEL and not the clamp onto the bucket variety, so that should help keep the load closer to the tractor. Grizzly has the shipping weight in at 1300 lbs, but that includes the stand, pallets, and all the accessories. If you are right and the lathe itself weighs in at closer to 900lbs, I should be in better shape.

As to a gear head lathe, well, I have never run a lathe of any type at all. None. I am sure this is going to be a very interesting experience, but I gotta learn somehow ;)

Thanks for all the tips!

---Aaron

Tim,

Is there a specific magnetic back dial indicator you would recommend? Thanks for the flip on the Fowler. From what I have read they are decent for the money.

Last edited:
Back