Grizzly DF1237G Purchase and restoration. (Also a shout out for help)

Welcome to the forum. Very nice restoration job! I have a Grizzly DF1224G (aka G1003) that appears to be identical to yours, except for bed length. A couple of photos of my lathe are attached below, as well as an "impoved" metric threading chart and a speed chart sorted by speeds, for your dining and dancing pleasure. I assume you have the proper set of change gears for the head - two 40, one 30 and one 32 tooth gears.

I'll take a look at my power crossfeed in a couple days ... need the lathe for a project until then. You're also more than welcome to come for a visit and to check out details on my lathe. I live in Chandler, about an hour's drive from Surprise (101, I10, 202). I visit Surprise about once or twice a month, as I'm doing some projects for a company there.
Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Lathes look identical at the headstock your right. If you were able to get some measurements on the worm I would really appreciate it. knowing Pitch and TPI along with other relevant measurements would go miles in finding a replacement or making one of my own once I get the skill.

What kind of oil do you use for the bearings? the apron?

I just bought the exact same lathe your rebuilt. It is the Grizzly DF-1237G. I assume you have your questions answered, but if you need something measureed, get back to me. (Though, be warned, I am a newbie).

I just bought the exact same lathe your rebuilt. It is the Grizzly DF-1237G. I assume you have your questions answered, but if you need something measureed, get back to me. (Though, be warned, I am a newbie).
Hey thanks! I actually have not had any luck yet getting the measurements on the worm in the back of the apron. Would love any and all measurements you could get on that worm.

I am not sure if this is the worm that you are referring to or not but this is from my Busy Bee version of a Grizzly DF1237G lathe. Sorry about being in metric. I took the pictures a while ago but just came across your thread. worm3.jpgworm5.jpgworm6.jpgworm7.jpg

that's great Javman! thanks so much. That is the exact part I was referring to. this is the most information I've been able to get on that worm after doing months of research. those measurements help a ton. I've called grizzly and they cannot support that machine at all. I've tried sourcing another worm from a later machine but nothing seems to match up. This will go miles to help getting my power crossfeed up and running.

I wonder if there is a BusyBee part number for that worm and if BusyBee could source one?

BusyBee will not even be as helpful as Grizzly unfortunately. You might look through McMaster Carr to see if they make something close enough.

Hi, having issue with the step pulley on the main shaft seizing on when the back gear is engaged and pin disengaged, any suggestions?

Hi, having issue with the step pulley on the main shaft seizing on when the back gear is engaged and pin disengaged, any suggestions?

You will want to start a new post as the last reply in this thread was two years ago.

Last edited:
Back