Griz G4030 Bandsaw

Jet Horizontal Wet Band Saw - $800 (Mead, CO)
7" x 12" capacity
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/tls/5008413522.html

I purchased this same saw from Amazon last fall, for around $1200... it is Taiwanese made.

I have only good things to say about it as far as its cutting ability and usability...
I did make one modification: The wheels only roll straight... I added a pair of castors on the opposite end from the motor, and removed that axle. LOTS easier to move it around!

IMO a good saw.

I just recently upgraded to the Jet 7x12 saw. I had used a smaller jet 4x6 for the last 25 years and I just got tired of the fiddling required to get decent cuts. I got the new Jet for $800 at the dealer in Seattle as it had a dent in the wiring cover on the motor. My only beef is the big wheels they used, it rolls in a straight line great but a bear to turn it. I plan on switching to locking swivels with some kind of leveling setup. I looked at the turn pro saw which with a 20% coupon would have been similar in cost but Enco's crappy customer service made me go elsewhere.

I looked at the turn pro saw which with a 20% coupon would have been similar in cost but Enco's crappy customer service made me go elsewhere.

Hmmm. I had a leaky hydraulic cylinder valve on my Turn-Pro, called them and had no issues, a new hydraulic cylinder and valve replacement arrived in 2 days. They are running a 15% sale currently which also applies to machinery. If you are looking for a geared transmission, the Jet would be quite a bit more. Quality is probably comparable, but may get better manufacturer service from Jet

So I guess at the end of the day, no one here has any experience with the 4030. But thank you for your other suggestions. :)

Bill here are some comments on the 4030 from around the interwebs...

- It wont cut big stuff (4x4 example) straight anymore.
- I have the next size grizzly up, the 7x12, and I hate it. The thing has never cut straight, no matter what you do, and blades pop off for no reason all the time. The half nut on the vise wore out, its noisy, and nobody likes to use it.
- I had the "ACRA" version of that saw for about a year. Would not cut straight, gave it away.
- 1. the wheel system sucks, put a base and wheels or legs on it right away, not just cause they're cool, but the machine badly needs rigidity.
2. The hydraulic feed isn't very rigid either. When you build your base, attach the cylinder to it.
3. The acme screw in the vise is soft. I purchased some left hand acme stock from MSC and made my own.

Back