grinding magnetic parallels

This thread got me thinking about grinding aluminum... I recently equipped my Boyar-Schultz with flood coolant - makes a very noticeable difference BTW. I use soluble oil (MobilCut 102).

I put a 6061 block on the chuck and blocked it in with 123 blocks. Using a Norton 5SG type ceramic aluminum oxide wheel and the flood coolant, I successfully ground the aluminum with no problems. I took about 0.005 overall before I stopped the 'experiment', but the wheel required no dressing in between. At the end, the wheel showed little or no loading up.

As far as finish, it wasn't bad at all, but not the mirror finish I can get with my face mill. It looked like exactly what it was: ground aluminum.

I likely could have done the same with a traditional aluminum oxide wheel, I tend to favor 60K wheels for most of what I do. I have some 46I wheels for heavier work. I think my favorite wheel is the Norton 38A series. The 5SG lasts a long time, but really likes a heavy cut for the best results.

John

When we would grind aluminum, we would use Crisco (the white stuff in a can, not spray,etc.) and it worked great, plus being cheap. We would brush it on the part with an acid brush to leave a thin film and hang a paper towel on the spray guard/ parts catcher with magnets to help contain the mess. It really kept the wheel from loading, but you did have to keep an eye on it. It has been awhile, but if I remember correctly, we usually used a 60H wheel (38A series). Not for the inexperienced on a grinder, though!
Cheers,
Mike

Back