Grinder Health Safty- Wet mist? Respirator? Venting to a collector can?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
He everyone, Onward march goes the beginner HM! We have the Bridgeport 815 all cleaned up, Way Oilers working (Oh what slippery fun!) I setup a VFD to operate it and sent sparks and clouds aloft! Wow Oh Wow! Love that thing! My Son and I took one of our 1045 knife blanks and made the equivalent rough material removal of the milling run in about 2/3 the time. And so much cheaper than cutters!!! But I miss the CNC part just running along and making its way down the material. Again, we (son and I) are total beginners and learning beyond what I imagined!! Safety is also foremost in our minds. Now that we have the BP815 running, I'm wondering what others have setup for breathing and particle control??

Any particular type of respirator used in the grinder world?
I can run my small coolant mister? Does this help? Seems it would help the material from heading into the air. But?? What I do not know may kill me! :- )
Tricks O' the trade welcome...

My idea was to take the 1HP tub vacume... Arrainge the input w/ a larger hood to pull in material. Run the pipe out to a large Collector can. anyway- Long day. All is well in the Shop!

:victory: Peace out!

knifwblanks.JPG

knifwblanks.JPG

The vacuum with a catch pan located in the line between the vacuum and the grinder. A catch can is just a can to pull the incoming slag to the bottom and the slag has to go through a couple of screens to prevent sparks getting in the vacuum. The water mister will not work on vitrified stones, they will shatter if you run them wet at 1600 RPM or faster. A lot of fellow are using a disposable carbon filtered resp. that they get from HD and Lowes. So no water, use a respirator if you desire and build a catch can and you will be off and running in no time at all. If you need a schematic of the can LMK and I will try to draw you one.

Bob

The water mister will not work on vitrified stones, they will shatter if you run them wet at 1600 RPM or faster.

Bob

Bob, can you expand a bit on this? I frequently use a B&S 6x18, with 7 inch wheels, with flood cooling, and it runs at 3600 RPM. This is a factory installed system coolant system. In this case it's impossible to turn on the coolant without the wheel running. If the controls were not interlocked, you absolutely would not want to leave to coolant on without the wheel turning. The danger would be that the one quadrant of the wheel would soak up coolant and be way out of balance when you turned it on.

Am I wrong here?

Pretty much, but I have seen less expensive stamped out wheels fail when exposed to water and the wheel is turning at a high speed. I guess it was one of them lessons I got my hand slapped about by the old time machinist that taught me all he could about being a machinist and Mechanic. We did spend a larger portion on him teaching mechanical knowledge and somewhat less about milling and lathe work.

Bob

Back