Grinder And Cut Off Saw For Use With Small Metal Working Projects?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I recently got a Sherline 4400 lathe and am now looking for some supporting tools to go along with it.

Prior to getting the lathe I had already been working with small diameter aluminum and brass rod, tubing, other shapes of typically 1/4" >. I've got a little Harbor Freight chop saw about 2" steel blade which has been fine for cutting this small stock.

With the lathe I'm moving into larger stuff 1/4" - 1" to start with, and 1/2" is really pushing the limits of the little saw. 1/8" brass already works it pretty hard, so almost any brass I'd be using with the lathe will challenge it.

I'd like the capability of going as large as 2" dia at some point although I'm not expecting to do a lot of work that large, so need a saw more appropriate for the work.

So first question

I saw an inexpensive ($90) 7 1/4" Ryobi compound miter saw at Home Depot that seems like it might fit the bill if equipped with a non-ferrous metal blade. I notice they make two non-ferrous blades in this size a steel 68 tooth ($11), and a carbide 56 tooth ($42). I generally avoid cheap Chinese tools but I have actually had good luck with Ryobi tools as long as I treat them like the lightweight tools that they are. Sears (Craftsman) has a similar sliding compound miter saw for $112, but these days I expect Craftsman power tools are probably Chinese made as well and I don't really need the sliding feature.

I do have a 14" compound miter saw I use for home repair projects, but a 14" non-ferrous metal costs as much as the smaller saw with a blade and takes up a lot more room at the bench. I like the idea of a smaller saw dedicated for my hobby stuff leaving the larger saw for the big stuff.

Unless somebody has a good argument against the 7 1/4" I'm mostly wondering about the $11 high speed steel blade vs the $42 carbide. I'm thinking the steel blade is probably fine for the relatively light (and occasional) use of a hobbyist, the carbide being more appropriate for daily use. Again mostly looking at aluminum and occasionally brass.

Obviously carbide will last longer, but I have read some comments stating that high speed steel tooling is actually preferable when working with aluminum on small lathes. I don't know if that thinking would also apply to a saw blade.

Second question

I'm looking for a grinder to sharpen high speed steel lathe tooling. I'm thinking a 6" bench grinder should be adequate but other than having an adjustable tool rest not really sure what to look for. I've been around grinders pretty much my whole life but kind of take them for granted.

Thanks and hope I'm asking in the right spot.

The scary thing is that it sounds like you plan to use a wood-cutting machine to cut metal. If you look into what they refer to as "cold saws", you'll see that they run at a much lower RPM. Wood speeds will destroy a metal saw blade and put you at risk for some high-speed bullets flying at you. Check out a portable bandsaw at Harbor freight. They are made for metal and you will find that you get a lot of use from them.

For the record, a wood-cutting bandsaw will eat a metal-cutting blade in about one second flat. It needs to run a lot slower as well.

Danger, Will Robinson!!! Yes, you can cut aluminum on a table saw with a carbide blade. I've done it. The key is to feed slowly and very controllably. There's no way you can get that kind of control with a chop saw (ie, miter saw, compound or otherwise). It's almost impossible to keep it from digging in, with disastrous consequences.

If you're just cutting brass and aluminum up to 1" diameter, a good hacksaw is your least expensive good option.

Meanwhile I'd say to haunt Craigslist in search of a decent used 4x6 bandsaw. You can probably get one for less than $120.

HF also has a handheld bandsaw on sale 11/24 ONLY, $99. Normally $140. Here's a screen shot of the ad you'll see if you go to http://www.harborfreight.com
Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 11.19.09 PM.jpg
Finally, there's the HF 4x6 bandsaw, which you can get new for about $210 with a 20% off coupon.

Whatever you decide on, BE SAFE!

A chop saw with a non-ferrous cutting blade will work fine for what you want to cut. The non-ferrous blades are made for this purpose and have the appropriate hook angle and clearance to cut aluminum and brass in a chop saw or table saw designed to cut wood. I use one on a regular basis to cut aluminum extrusions that are much larger than what you plan to cut.

Aaron, hman had a good idea for an inexpensive saw. I purchased one from Harbor Freight years ago and disassembled it to attach a 1 1/8" angle iron to hold it in a bench vice and fashioned a table onto the plate. Being without much space to work in, this has worked great over the years, and the blades can be found in most hardware stores bi metal, and vari tooth.HF Portable.jpg

Forgot to mention, that the speeds are variable. I have cut 4'x4" Aluminum on it... yeah, it takes awhile but sure beats a hacksaw.
Pictures of my shop are in Machine manufacturers, under Smithy, (my humble shop) and can be enlarged.

My wood cutting delta 10" chop saw with a carbide tipped blade and cutting wax has cut hundreds of feet of aluminum extrusions and rod.

Your idea of using the 7 1/4" chop saw and a nonferrous blade will work for your purposes.
For aluminum check out Diablo carbide tipped blades somewhere around 40 tooth. They are pretty good blades that don't break the bank
Just be ready to use lubricating wax or the aluminum may stick to the carbide during operation

The key is the op sounds like he want's to cut steel also.

No, mainly aluminum, and possibly some brass on occasion.

It looks like I have some thinking to do on a saw. A bandsaw is twice the price but that is better than I thought with most I've seen running more in the $400-500 range. It also dawned on me that I have a sawzall, so I have options beyond a hacksaw until I make a decision.

So how about the bench grinder for sharpening bits, anything special to look for? Any reason to get one larger than 6" dia?

Back