Grease For Gears

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys do you put any kind of lub on your gears to help with wear and maybe quite down the gear noise?I was checking this product out but wanted to ask first see what ya'll think.Thank kroll
WDI-293-L0152-063.EPS-ZM.JPG

Your post was pretty general, Kroll. Gears in a gearbox should be in an oil bath, for instance. I am talking about lathe change gears here. That will work. So will wire rope lubricant. So will a NLGI #1 grease. Oil mostly drips and slings off. Grease will attract and hold chips, but the gears should be enclosed where chips cannot get into. I have a small amount of grease on my gears (Lubriplate 630-AA) and there are no chips in it...

Edit: I also clean the gears every time I change them.

Yes sir Bob that what I was referring to,change gears or open gears.I have an Atlas and the gears makes some noise so I though maybe this grease would help out a little.

there is also an open gear lube I think its also by lubriplate, bill

I use Napa open gear lube. Seems to work well. Lots of good options.
Dave

We found some high pressure grease that we applied to the open gears on the end of the. SB14.5 and they made a lot less noise.

Some grease is not very slippery and acts more as a cushion but stays in place.

Others ate very slippery but fly all over the place.

Cannot remember what we but container someplace...

Look for something that is somewhat slippery as the gears do slide but also has cushion and is tacky to stay in place but not sticky to attract dirt.

Cat has a grease that meets above for crawlers that has high moly content but do not get it on yiu as it is immune to cleaners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

something else to check is excessive backlash or insufficient backlash. both conditions will make a geartrain run louder

My lathe's manufacturer specifies MOBIL AW2 grease for the gears.

Ke4n

Back