Graver rest for X2 Mini Lathe

CODEMAN

Active User
Registered
I needed to turn some delrin to make knobs for my morse code keys and built this rest to fit into my QCTP. It's quite solid and allows me to use it for material from 1/16 to 1.5". Crude…but effective.

SteveLatheRest.jpg

LatheRest.jpg

That's not crude at all, I like it. Basically a wood lathe rest. One of the downsides of modern metal lathes is that you can't do freehand, and if you do it's a mess between the two cranks. Sometimes a wood lathe is great for that stuff.

Do you have any pictures of the knobs completed?

Clever design, nicely done - looks like a simple but effective design (and when I use the word simple I mean it as a compliment). I'm planning on making a graver rest for my mini-lathe one of these days, so I'm always interested to see what others have done in this regard.

Here's my list for those who are interested - click on the link and scroll down to "gravers":

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#lathetools

I just put a piece of 1/2 in chromed bearing rod in my boring tool holder. Worked well enough. I do like the kickstand for yours though.

It's much more stable with the kickstand and eliminates stress on the qctp

You're welcome!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Great idea!
I am going to steal that idea for the wood tool rest on my Logan.
That will definitely make it more rigid and eliminate the stress on the tool post.
Thanks!

Back