Graduated dials

When the people at SKF talk about hammering on a bearing they are talking about someone beating on or near it with a large hammer if you think that a slight tap with a one ounce hammer is going to do anything then things are getting blown way out of proportion... AGAIN your lathe on an interupted cut take 10 times the hammering of someone who taps on a 2mm stamp to make a mark.. Do you tap on a collet to break the tapper?? your tapping on the bearing you know.. Some people dont stop and think about the hammering the same bearing takes in wheel bearings of cars, motorcycles ect. I have seen bottle jacks used in machine shops to straighten shafts in lathes and they had been doing it that way for 75 yrs any broken bearings?????? lets see... Nope not a one. Or when someone taps on a piece to get it straight in a chuck have I ever heard of a broken bearing from that lets see... Nope. The fact is I worked in a machine shop that has been in buisness for 100 yrs they abused there machines in the worst of ways and I never ever heard of or saw a broken bearing even in the worse conditions . A ball bearing is so hard it will shatter before there is any even small dent unless it is over heated and if you have broken a bearing by hammering on it you will most likely break the casting before you ever break or damage a bearing. After I posted this someone else on this forum had a very similar post and project by the comments his was the next best thing since sliced bread I dont know whyI get the hell beat out of me here on such a small stupid little project.

Last edited:
What a beautiful dial!! Wow! I think the hammer thing is no big deal at all with that little hammer. Yo could always put a shaper gauge, or block, or piece of oak under it for future projects anyway, if you cared.
Great idea with the saw blade!! The diameter of the blade compared to accuracy of our eyes on the final marks on the dial make it scale it's accuracy perfectly.

Bernie

What a beautiful dial!! Wow! I think the hammer thing is no big deal at all with that little hammer. Yo could always put a shaper gauge, or block, or piece of oak under it for future projects anyway, if you cared.
Great idea with the saw blade!! The diameter of the blade compared to accuracy of our eyes on the final marks on the dial make it scale it's accuracy perfectly.

I liked the saw blade idea so much that I bought a slitting saw on ebay. Soon I will be able to enjoy my shops up here in our unseasonably cold Wisconsin weather!

Bernie

That is an awesome looking Dial.
Do you plan on making any more for sale by chance?
I wouldn't mind getting some new ones for my Lathe.

Yes I could make some for you let me know what kind of lathe and the diameter you would like.. Ray

When I get home tonight I'll measure them and let you know.
It's a Craftsman Commercial 12 x 36 101.28990

When the people at SKF talk about hammering on a bearing they are talking about someone beating on or near it with a large hammer if you think that a slight tap with a one ounce hammer is going to do anything then things are getting blown way out of proportion... AGAIN your lathe on an interupted cut take 10 times the hammering of someone who taps on a 2mm stamp to make a mark.. Do you tap on a collet to break the tapper?? your tapping on the bearing you know.. Some people dont stop and think about the hammering the same bearing takes in wheel bearings of cars, motorcycles ect. I have seen bottle jacks used in machine shops to straighten shafts in lathes and they had been doing it that way for 75 yrs any broken bearings?????? lets see... Nope not a one. Or when someone taps on a piece to get it straight in a chuck have I ever heard of a broken bearing from that lets see... Nope. The fact is I worked in a machine shop that has been in buisness for 100 yrs they abused there machines in the worst of ways and I never ever heard of or saw a broken bearing even in the worse conditions . A ball bearing is so hard it will shatter before there is any even small dent unless it is over heated and if you have broken a bearing by hammering on it you will most likely break the casting before you ever break or damage a bearing. After I posted this someone else on this forum had a very similar post and project by the comments his was the next best thing since sliced bread I dont know whyI get the hell beat out of me here on such a small stupid little project.
I agree with you ironman. The impact force mentioned in previous posts deals with a sudden deceleration of the hammer. The force transmitted to the bearings is much less. Anyway, great thinking out of the box with your DIY dividing head and the stamping jig. I will have to file both ideas away for future use.

I agree with you ironman. The impact force mentioned in previous posts deals with a sudden deceleration of the hammer. The force transmitted to the bearings is much less. Anyway, great thinking out of the box with your DIY dividing head and the stamping jig. I will have to file both ideas away for future use.

Thank You

When I get home tonight I'll measure them and let you know.
It's a Craftsman Commercial 12 x 36 101.28990

You will probably want a 200 increment dial it will be about inch and a half in diameter. that will give you a direct read so when you turn the dial lets say 10,000 it will cut 10 not 20.. Ray

The ones on there now are 1.73" That's both the compound and cross feed dials.

upload_2015-3-10_22-12-52.png
upload_2015-3-10_22-13-29.png

Back