GRACIOUS GRATITUDE GUYS !!!

ARM

Active User
Registered
Hello there and Compliments of the Season to all U Good Guys
May all Your aspirations be fulfilled in the coming days of this Year.

Just wanted to express our sincere appreciation to all U Good Folks, and especially to our selfless, dedicated and most philanthropic Moderators who have contributed in no small measure to eliminating the sum of our ignorance and guiding us all along to the better understanding and use of equipment in our workshops.

Speaking for myself, when I had joined U Guys, I did not even know the elementary usage of some of the Levers and Controls on my lathe which I had had for some EIGHT YEARS !!! Sometimes, when I recollect, I shudder to think how I had completed some pommel and Haft turning on my Dagger, which BTW, won an award at our Knifemakers Guild Show.

Be that as it all may, today I am happy to state that we have now mastered THREADING, Taper Turning and now with our new STRADDLE KNURL HOLDER from EAGLE ROCK, we are indeed rocking, like U Guys say !!! From the pics U will eyeball, it is apparent our Knurling has improved tenfold with their Tool. And it must be made known to all, these Folks from EAGLE ROCK are as good as they come, if not better. Had the President write me personally to clarify and explain a few items and assist us decide on the right Tool. Not many Companies operate like that now-a-days. Their Tool is a pleasure to work with. No heavy MATHS and serious Calculations and all that bull-dust to confound and confuse the illiterate. Just get Your centres right and U can roll them beautiful Knurls on any and all Materials. And this was 304 S/S !!!

As for my THREADING, i am now even able to Turn 7/16-20 Imperial Fine Threads used on this Lathe Tool Height Setter - base made from some unknown salvaged truck spares. OK. the female threads were Die cut but these male were turned on our machine, and that too, on 304 S/S also, which as most U Folks know, is real crappy to cut Threads on.

The bottom line, we must sincerely Thank the Owner, U marvelous mod MODERATORS and all U kind and well-wishing Contributors who have in every way made this site one of the Best in the Machining category by far. May this site grow even more popular and powerful.

011.JPG017.JPG019.JPG028.JPG

May Your shadows always stay long !!!
LORD BLESS
aRM
PS : thanks for eyeballing our little effort - it in no way compares with all the other tremendously magnificent workmanships posted here.

011.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG 028.JPG

Nice work, your surface finish turned out quite nice. Congratulations on your single point threading, also. When first learning how to do it, threading appears to be a daunting and difficult task, but it is not all that difficult once you get the hang of it. Thanks for posting your project, it will be an inspiration to others that are just getting started.

Nice work, your surface finish turned out quite nice. Congratulations on your single point threading, also. When first learning how to do it, threading appears to be a daunting and difficult task, but it is not all that difficult once you get the hang of it. Thanks for posting your project, it will be an inspiration to others that are just getting started.
TERRY
it's the tenacity of ( Tenacious TERRY) Guys like U, who stick with us rookies thru' thick and thin that makes these possibilities
Kudos all to U, Sir
Keep up the good work
aRM

Hello there and Compliments of the Season to all U Good Guys
May all Your aspirations be fulfilled in the coming days of this Year.

Just wanted to express our sincere appreciation to all U Good Folks, and especially to our selfless, dedicated and most philanthropic Moderators who have contributed in no small measure to eliminating the sum of our ignorance and guiding us all along to the better understanding and use of equipment in our workshops.

Speaking for myself, when I had joined U Guys, I did not even know the elementary usage of some of the Levers and Controls on my lathe which I had had for some EIGHT YEARS !!! Sometimes, when I recollect, I shudder to think how I had completed some pommel and Haft turning on my Dagger, which BTW, won an award at our Knifemakers Guild Show.

Be that as it all may, today I am happy to state that we have now mastered THREADING, Taper Turning and now with our new STRADDLE KNURL HOLDER from EAGLE ROCK, we are indeed rocking, like U Guys say !!! From the pics U will eyeball, it is apparent our Knurling has improved tenfold with their Tool. And it must be made known to all, these Folks from EAGLE ROCK are as good as they come, if not better. Had the President write me personally to clarify and explain a few items and assist us decide on the right Tool. Not many Companies operate like that now-a-days. Their Tool is a pleasure to work with. No heavy MATHS and serious Calculations and all that bull-dust to confound and confuse the illiterate. Just get Your centres right and U can roll them beautiful Knurls on any and all Materials. And this was 304 S/S !!!

As for my THREADING, i am now even able to Turn 7/16-20 Imperial Fine Threads used on this Lathe Tool Height Setter - base made from some unknown salvaged truck spares. OK. the female threads were Die cut but these male were turned on our machine, and that too, on 304 S/S also, which as most U Folks know, is real crappy to cut Threads on.

The bottom line, we must sincerely Thank the Owner, U marvelous mod MODERATORS and all U kind and well-wishing Contributors who have in every way made this site one of the Best in the Machining category by far. May this site grow even more popular and powerful.

View attachment 92172View attachment 92173View attachment 92174View attachment 92175

May Your shadows always stay long !!!
LORD BLESS
aRM
PS : thanks for eyeballing our little effort - it in no way compares with all the other tremendously magnificent workmanships posted here.

HEAR HEAR!!

TERRY
it's the tenacity of ( Tenacious TERRY) Guys like U, who stick with us rookies thru' thick and thin that makes these possibilities
Kudos all to U, Sir
Keep up the good work
aRM

And you, sir, are too kind!

Well done, ARM - I still have way to go to get where you are!
What would be a good general purpose type knurling tool? I had a look on the Eagle Rock site, but the choices are vast and can these be ordered from them directly?
I would appreciate your advice as I'm slowly but surely starting to build up my tool inventory. I got my lathe without any tools, but one cutting tool and a live center.

Nice work aRM. Keep working on the skills one at a time.

Well done, ARM - I still have way to go to get where you are!
What would be a good general purpose type knurling tool? I had a look on the Eagle Rock site, but the choices are vast and can these be ordered from them directly?
I would appreciate your advice as I'm slowly but surely starting to build up my tool inventory. I got my lathe without any tools, but one cutting tool and a live center.

Hello there LOOD
Got mine from STAR TOOLING, old MACHINE SHOP DISCOUNT SUPPLY. Eagle Rock, as Manufacturers can't and won't sell direct to the public. Seeing that we chase for quality and that too buy once only, we took their HEAVY DUTY KNURL TOOLHOLDER Model K1-44-21-0750C-E for the 3/4 x 3/8 x 1/4 Knurls. This Holder has a 3/4 inch shank as well, which suited our 20x20 QCTP and particularly for the material we are going to be knurling mostly.

It just depends on the size of Your lathe U have and get Tooling to match accordingly. Drop them a line and they will be the right persons to advice U on exactly what U should get for Your specific machine. U don't mention much about the specifics of the lathe U have. We think that it is crucial U know Your machine and the size of Tooling it can handle. Guess we'd need those specs to advise U better.

And don't pass up FLEA BAY ( eBay ) !!! There's always very good opportunities for excellent quality second-hand USA-made Tooling even with our lousy Rand conversion and Shipping included. It just takes time, persistence and patience and U will surely find what U are looking for. We picked up some fantastic deals there on some exclusive Roughing End Mills, massive MT3 and MT4 Drills, Kant Twist Clamps, assortment of Imperial Drills to last a couple of life-times etc and highly recommend U look at those items even on Auction. Just keep at it, and good luck !!!

All the best and take care.
aRM

Hello there LOOD
Got mine from STAR TOOLING, old MACHINE SHOP DISCOUNT SUPPLY. Eagle Rock, as Manufacturers can't and won't sell direct to the public. Seeing that we chase for quality and that too buy once only, we took their HEAVY DUTY KNURL TOOLHOLDER Model K1-44-21-0750C-E for the 3/4 x 3/8 x 1/4 Knurls. This Holder has a 3/4 inch shank as well, which suited our 20x20 QCTP and particularly for the material we are going to be knurling mostly.

It just depends on the size of Your lathe U have and get Tooling to match accordingly. Drop them a line and they will be the right persons to advice U on exactly what U should get for Your specific machine. U don't mention much about the specifics of the lathe U have. We think that it is crucial U know Your machine and the size of Tooling it can handle. Guess we'd need those specs to advise U better.

And don't pass up FLEA BAY ( eBay ) !!! There's always very good opportunities for excellent quality second-hand USA-made Tooling even with our lousy Rand conversion and Shipping included. It just takes time, persistence and patience and U will surely find what U are looking for. We picked up some fantastic deals there on some exclusive Roughing End Mills, massive MT3 and MT4 Drills, Kant Twist Clamps, assortment of Imperial Drills to last a couple of life-times etc and highly recommend U look at those items even on Auction. Just keep at it, and good luck !!!

All the best and take care.
aRM

Thanks a lot for your reply, ARM. I have a Graziano SAG180 and the standard shank size for its QCTP is 20mm. I have used tools with both 12mm and 16mm size though, together with spacers and they worked perfectly well.
I did some shopping in Bloemfontein today and I'm still a bit shocked with the prices of good tooling. However, it doesn't make sense having a machine without tools now, does it?:whistle:

Back