Gotta Love Ebay.

By the way, I have that same Albrecht chuck that I bought used locally for $50. It needed a cleanup, had a bunch of grease in it, and also had a nasty arbor on it. I bought an Albrecht R8 arbor for it ($65, OUCH!) and now it works beautifully, smooth and with no measurable runout. I think Albrecht arbors are the only good choice for precision chucks now, since the Jacobs stuff is coming from China, and their prices still represent their FORMER glory. I did buy a South Bend branded imported arbor from Grizzly for use on another chuck for my drill press, and it was nicely finished, couple thou runout, reasonable price. The hardening is less than the Albrecht.

my problem is I every time I found something I wanted, I would get out bid at the last second, now I know why, one of you guys with the sniping app.

my problem is I every time I found something I wanted, I would get out bid at the last second, now I know why, one of you guys with the sniping app.
I don't much mind sniping. When I see something on Ebay that I want I decide how much I will pay for it, bid that as my maximum, and that's it. If I'm outbid, then someone else wanted it more than I did. The only irritation about sniping is having to wait until the end to find out that I was outbid. If everyone did as I do we could all move on to the next item more quickly.

I "snipe" but by hand - I put my bid in 4-5s before the end. If I'm going to get it for what I want to pay, I'll get it, if I don't then I won't get the chance to bid myself up beyond that. It's pretty annoying when you get sniped at the last minute, but if I'd wanted to pay that amount, I should have bid that amount! Lost an auction for a couple of tatty looking 60pc wire gauge drill sets in the last second - I've been after a half decent set that I can afford (lots of caveats!) for a year, but I can survive without it for a while longer!

I really have not used ebay much, my wife does some, but the few times I have tried to bid, towards the end, I put in the bid higher than what is there, and it jumps up at the last second to beat me. I just aint fast enough to get it in another bid at that point.

I really have not used ebay much, my wife does some, but the few times I have tried to bid, towards the end, I put in the bid higher than what is there, and it jumps up at the last second to beat me. I just aint fast enough to get it in another bid at that point.
It isn't like a real auction. If you "win" you'll pay the lesser of your bid or $1.00 over the previous maximum bid. Thus there's no reason not to put your maximum in right away.

I sniped an like new 1/2" Albrecht a couple of weeks ago, for $75. It had a"Made in England" #2JT -#3MT arbor on it. I also scored a Bison JT2-R8 arbor to get it to fit my mill for $20. I don't think there is anything wrong with sniping, if you want something bad enough you gotta be "present" at the end of the auction.

It isn't like a real auction. If you "win" you'll pay the lesser of your bid or $1.00 over the previous maximum bid. Thus there's no reason not to put your maximum in right away.

Not really true bidding early gives some one time to increase there bid. I have gotten stuff at much lower than my max bid by bidding 2 sec before the end.

Back