Gotta Love Ebay.

Bellwether

Active User
Registered
I snagged this Albrecht 1/8- 5/8 Chuck with an R8 shank on eBay for $78 (thank you sniping app). Unfortunately the jaws were pretty beat up so I had to order new ones for $100! Yikes! All in all still a great deal for such a nice piece of tooling.image.jpg

I also scored a real nice one ,mine is in great shape. It's a small one but they are the best ,even tho you needed some parts at the price of new ones you done good . I have one like yours and it's well over thirty years old and it is my favorite chuck in the mill or the Lathe. Only reason I wanted another was for tiny bits , plus ya know tools are an addiction . Good luck with your new chuck it won't let you down , just don't put any larger bits that will make it torque down on the bit in use. I've watched others use silver and deming bits use pipe wrenches to get them out of the chuck. I reserve my chucks and take care of them . Over the past year I scored two Jacobs a #20 and an # 8 1/2, the 20 I think I will put a new shank on . After I ck the new 8 1/2 I'll know if that needs replacing .

Thanks, I should have the new jaws tomorrow and then I'll be good to go. I have no doubt it'll be as good as new.

I would complain to the seller , Bet he didn't state the jaws where shot. Tell him you want half the money back.

eBay does rock, I picked up,a nearly new Albright 1/16 to 1/2 for $104 that retails for over $300 with a snipe bid as well.

Several years ago I scored one that was on a drill press the company I was working for scrap out. The drill press sat outside for nearly a year before it was scrap out and the chuck was covered on rust. Popped it off the spindle with a 15" Crescent wrench, wedged the crescent wrench jaws between the back of the chuck and the quill of the DP spindle and popped it off. Took it home, cleaned it up mounted on an arbor. Tried it out and is perfect, runs dead true. I only use it when precision hole placement is needed and such.

I would complain to the seller , Bet he didn't state the jaws where shot. Tell him you want half the money back.
Good idea, I may just do that. I went back and looked at the original listing and it stated that it was completely functional just dirty. Thanks for the tip.

Ok guys. What's a snipe bid? Help the ebay rookie out here?
A snipe bid is a bid put in at the last couple of seconds of the auction with the intent of your bid being the final and winning bid. You need to get a sniping app to do it.

Good idea, I may just do that. I went back and looked at the original listing and it stated that it was completely functional just dirty. Thanks for the tip..

Hi, neighbor! One thing I have found is that one needs to read tool ads literally. If it said "the tool is completely functional" then that is all it means. Are you able to put a drill in the chuck and drill a hole? If so, it is completely functional, even if it has .050" runout and rattles as it spins. Anything beyond what the ad literally states is a hopeful expectation. You could sure ask anyway, though, and being an Epay purchase you could try to get favorable consideration by threatening negative feedback, though IMHO not really ethical from what was stated here. Most Epay sellers really do care about their reputation and feedback ratings. It has come to a point where many Epay sellers will simply state something like "Used item. I am not an expert. Look at the photos carefully, they are an important part of the description." In fact, those blurry pics then become the only description, and when push comes to shove Epay will back the seller. Caveat Emptor...

Another possibility on Epay is to ask detailed questions about anything you care about through the Epay path to ask the seller questions. Those questions and answers then become part of the transaction, and IF you can pin the seller down on something he will need to back what he said. If not, wait for something that seems better to come along or take your chances and hope for the best.

Picked up a set of 3 Albrecht in 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2 off ebay for just over $100. Much easier to snag when the listing ends at 2 AM Pacific!
2 of the 3 were somewhat rough feeling & needed cleaning, but since I was replacing the arbors anyway, who cares? Had to take them apart to knock the old arbor out, & after a little bath & lubing, good as new & about 1/10 the price.

Back