Google Street View (Siberia) Mystery

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For the present being (medically) somewhat constrained from playing with machines and stuff, but still able to go exploring with Google Street View, allows amazing distractions, to which I confess I did indulge.

Start with a fellow called Dmitri Mendeleev, a name some folk will recognize if they know what is the Periodic Table of Elements
This guy -->
Dmitri Mendeleev2.jpg
He lived his young life in Tobalsk, Siberia
Don't ask what motivated my mind enough to use Google Street View to get a look at his home town, but I did.
This is what I find -->
Expand the thumbnail, hit the zoom (+), and check out lovely lady in the corner window of the "MTC" shop.
Tobalsk-Siberia.png
There is other interesting stuff as well, like the Mom holding hands with what look like identical twins, and it looks like a hot day in 2013 Siberia, but for me, there is something wrong here. I know, I know - I have got to get out more, but I can't for now. Thus, if anybody confirms they also see what i see, I will know I am not, finally, among the insane!

Explanation:
1. They grem them big in Siberia
2. A video screen
3. A poster

Nope, not seeing it.
2 strollers, one strange looking toddler in background with mother going to get it. (my grandson thought it was hilarious to run away in parking lots when he was about 3)
One of the twins is turned slightly so left foot is hidden behind right?
Giant picture inside store, far left window?

From various clues, but especially the exact perspective of the skirting board behind the young lady, which also establishes the floor plane, it is not likely a poster.

This is an image leak-thru of some kind. It may be a image processing artifact from the way circular (google's camera on a pole) are then made into flat views depending on the direction the little yellow man is viewing. Notice the "reflection" of a similar window structure in the third pane, perhaps with a bit or arm in it.

Maybe Google sneaks these images into their content as a secret means oif identification? Who knows.

We lose sight of the point that I should have been occupied doing something else, than discovering something so very deeply lost in a more than decade-old image from Siberia!

I am pretty sure that a computer(AI?) stitches lots of images together from the mobile camera platform with little or no human oversite to create the streetview images that we see. My experience is that there are lots and lots of weird artifacts from that process.

If it were a double image, I would expect that there would be some of the artifact showing in front of the window although it might be washed out by the bright white. Have you looked at the shop from a different angle? What are the coordinates of the street view scene?

Back