Good Steel From Car Parts?

What specifically would I look for with the front wheel hub assemblies?
Push the wheel hub out of the bearing assembly and you have a good sized flange to work with.
Pics are front and back of one next to an assembled one from a 1 ton truck. I was making a grinder hub out of it.
HSS did fine cutting on the splined area. I thought it would be to hard but not bad. I threaded the opposite end for the puller thread.
These assemblies with the bearing have a cogged wheel in them that the wheel speed sensor reads off of. They look interesting to build an indexing head out of. Could be horizontal or vertical. And use the gaps in the senser wheel for an indexing pin.
PICT0004.JPG PICT0005.JPG

The chromed rod in struts provides nice shaft material. Carbide will easily remove the chrome. But I have run across one that was tube rather than solid.

Greg

Push the wheel hub out of the bearing assembly and you have a good sized flange to work with.
Pics are front and back of one next to an assembled one from a 1 ton truck. I was making a grinder hub out of it.
HSS did fine cutting on the splined area. I thought it would be to hard but not bad. I threaded the opposite end for the puller thread.
These assemblies with the bearing have a cogged wheel in them that the wheel speed sensor reads off of. They look interesting to build an indexing head out of. Could be horizontal or vertical. And use the gaps in the senser wheel for an indexing pin.
View attachment 127088 View attachment 127089
I was playing with one of those the other day, thinking about how good it would be as an indexer for my universal grinder, but with no clue how to go about making that (I have inherited equipment, not so much skills/experience). I'll probably grab a couple when I see them again so I will have the option, and a backup. :)

The chromed rod in struts provides nice shaft material. Carbide will easily remove the chrome. But I have run across one that was tube rather than solid.

Greg
I grabbed some shocks yesterday with that in mind. Not sure if it's tubing or solid. And I figure the cylinders, once hollowed and cleaned, will be great for pouring long aluminum stock. They're a good size and the wall will be thin and easy to remove. I'll just weld a cap on the bottom. My son is begging me to make him a lightsaber, and I think that will be just the right size. Actually he has picked out which "model" lightsaber for everyone in the family. :)

Stuts have some nice chromed rods in them.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I have a few wheel bearing assemblies also. Was thinking about making a rotary table for welding. Anything round or square is usable in my inventory. Anything aluminum, wheel weights and tire valves can be melted. Some exhaust valves are made of stellite good for boring cutters. Others used for punches or chisels. Stellite is easy to identify as it is non magnetic. It will not anneal (iirc) when used as a cutter.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

df99d3fb91706798e4947911bb34963e.jpg

The pile is basically always this big. And this is just one of the four shops in this area.

I wonder what those brake disk rotors can be used for. I made an emergency V block out of one, but it was not something to do routinely because of the internal holes. They have too big of a hollow area in the middle for a decent pin bender.

I'd sure grab that top and to the rear deep dish tapered looking rotor to build a coal forge.

I'm not much on using car parts as a resource of raw materials to cut on since I have a good supply on hand and can get just about anything I want down here in the area I live in. I do have a new brake rotor I use to tram in the mill with.
I also have a old boring bore my dad made in shop class around 1950. It is made from a old truck axle. All I know is it is very tough to cut on. Here's a couple of pictures of it.

DSCN3266.JPG DSCN3267.JPG

Back