Golf ball mortar

Many years ago, two coworkers were involved in a game of practical joke one-ups-manship. You know the drill. Sooner or later, someone gets their feelings hurt, at least. The last joke in the progression was when the mechanically inclined, uh, participant, filled a garbage bag with acetylene, placed it under the hood of the other fella's car shortly before quitting time, next to the spark plug wire recently pulled off the plug.
I was not there, but I have it on good authority that the explosion changed many things, including the profiles of the hood and the perpetrator's nose.

Whats makes a device a firearm?
The ATF defines firearm as having a self contained cartridge. A shotgun shell in the case of a shotgun and a metallic cartridge in the case of rifles and pistols. A muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading pistol, or a cap and ball pistol are not firearms and are subject to the same regulations as a potato.

Barrel with a bore more than one-half inch in diameter:

(4) The term ‘‘destructive device’’ means— (A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas— (i) bomb, (ii) grenade, (iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, (iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (v) mine, or (vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses; (B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and (C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

I will have to re-read to find where canons fit in. Not many people shooting steel canon balls, usually just tamped wadding to make a boom and a smoke cloud. I'm sure the answer lays in ATF law, it's just been awhile since I read up. Somehow the appeal to push the regulatory limits fades with age.

I work in the golf industry. Our courses up sell at outtings only that if you want to pay five dollars you get to tee off with a air powered golf ball cannon. Similar to a potato gun. All the pvc is schedule80, uses a off the shelf irrigation valve that can be had at Home Depot and the trigger is a air blow gun. You charge the system to 90psi. and if you get the right arc it’ll shoot 150yrds. If you google air powered golf ball shooter it’ll come up. Alittle safer than the typical potato gun charged with propane as we did as kids but still pretty powerful.

I work in the golf industry. Our courses up sell at outtings only that if you want to pay five dollars you get to tee off with a air powered golf ball cannon. Similar to a potato gun. All the pvc is schedule80, uses a off the shelf irrigation valve that can be had at Home Depot and the trigger is a air blow gun. You charge the system to 90psi. and if you get the right arc it’ll shoot 150yrds. If you google air powered golf ball shooter it’ll come up. Alittle safer than the typical potato gun charged with propane as we did as kids but still pretty powerful.
I had no idea, is this within the regular rules or just for fun?

John

I had no idea, is this within the regular rules or just for fun?

John
No it doesn’t follow pga rules. We only do this option for personal/company outings that would want this. They really don’t follow rules in outings it’s more for the enjoyment of the game. Forgot to add that it’s only on the first tee not all eighteen.

No it doesn’t follow pga rules. We only do this option for personal/company outings that would want this. They really don’t follow rules in outings it’s more for the enjoyment of the game. Forgot to add that it’s only on the first tee not all eighteen.
It would be interesting if it were optional for all shots ;)

John

Pretty much anything that is muzzle loaded is OK as far as the feds are concerned.

Pretty much anything breach loaded with a bigger than .5 inch bore is a "destructive device" and requires additional license / tax stamp.

I recommend FG Pyrodex. I believe black powder is classified as an explosive and requires a license to purchase and handle. A lot of people talk about black powder when they really mean Pyrodex.

The tighter the projectile fits the bigger the bang. Hence the use of wading.

Last edited:
Back