Going to look at a Clausing 5914 lathe and things that I should check

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I talk to the seller who bought it from a machine shop to resell . He said it's 110v powered and we should be able to run it . I noticed in the CL ad picture that the turret looks like it's just sitting on the bed , I can't think of any good reasons for that . i don't know much about these machines ( to honest any machines lol ) There seems to be plenty of things beside normal wear on a machine with a clutch/brake system that might need work . I'll that a indicator to check the headstock bearings and operate the controls but maybe someone will have further suggestion about the model , thanks Al

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 95
Your're not far away and I have a 5917 . Where is the tailstock ?

I wondering about the tailstock too , I'm just hoping the turret is from this machine and wasn't swapped for one that they kept . I believe that you couldn't swap things from one machine to another without a lot of work ?

The variable speed reeves mechanism on these lathes tends to be problematic (hydraulics and delrin bushings in the sliding pulleys).
Only adjust speed with lathe running, see if it goes across full speed range and holds it in place and does not rumble too much.
They can be converted to direct drive/VFD.

Check that all gears and feed mechanisms work.

The tailstocks (regular and turret) are typically bored out on the lathe they "belong" to, so cannot be simply traded across lathes. Make sure your regular tailstock is included. The turret is less useful for home use; I have one that has been parked under the lathe for a few years now. It might make for a good deep drilling rig, but I have not had the need.

Verify that spindle bearings are not trashed as they are very expensive and difficult to find in their original tolerances. All other bearings can be replaced with some custom bushings needed.

If no chucks/tooling are included you can factor that into a price. The L00 chucks are not that common, but you can get L00 backplates and machine for plain back chucks.

Last edited:
It's supposed to come with a 3 jaw chuck and faceplate . Would there be anyway to tell if that turret came with this machine ? And if he doesn't have the original tailstock should that be a deal breaker ?

Run a quick eBay search for Clausing 59 tailstock. That may give you an idea as to their general availability. As far as determining whether or not the bed turret is native to that particular 5914, probably not. Although general condition of the headstock versus the turret might give a clue. Outside of that, the only other quick check would be to chuck up a solid rod (preferably precision ground) the same diameter as the holes in the turret and see how close it is to fitting into any of the holes when you advance the turret.

Not a deal breaker, In a pinch the turret could be used as a tailstock. It's possible a previous owner used it both ways, as an engine lathe and as a turret lathe, with the saddle out of service on the right end. A correct tailstock might be found online, too. That would be preferable....

I feel like a lathe with a turret would indicate it was used in production.
Same movements day in and day out.
Check it over good for wear.
Just me?

I agree. Unless the lathe is very inexpensive I’d be inclined to keep looking.

But if doing only production work with the bed turret, there would be no or minimal wear on anything except turret, spindle and drive. None on bed, anything on the carriage, or on the lead screw and half nuts. They could be as new.

Last edited:
Back