Goggles for Plasma Cutter use ??

TOOLNUT

Active User
Registered
Goggles for plasma cutter use.

I have a small plasma cutter (Harbor Freight, 220v 40 amp) and so far am fascinated with it. However, no goggles came with it and I tried my regular welding hood ,with #10 lens I think, and it was way too dark. I needed a lighter shade to be able to see what I was doing. I did try the goggles from my acetylene welder and they seemed to be OK.

I need to know what others are using, I don't want to damage my eyes so I need to know what others are using and any help will be appreciated.
Jerry

With 40 amps you should be ok with dark off the shelf sunglasses
You can also try to use the torch head it's self to block the arc
Takes a little getting use to but works very well
Have fun they are an awesome tool
And dont touch the work with the tip it will get expensive !!!

Yup, torch goggles for me too. ;)

Thanks a lot guys,
I will still be watching for comments, but now feel much safer knowing that others think the torch goggles are sufficient.

I have had cartaract surgery on both eyes and might be a bit over sensitive to the possible hazard than many other people. I have also managed to control a rare artery disease that could have caused blindness if it had went untreated.
Got it in time by a good family doctor.
My thoughts are "Better safe than Sorry ".

I don't do very much cutting at one time so doubt if the full face would be needed, but will keep that in mind though and look for a lighter shade lense for my regular arc wellding helmet.
Tnx agn
Jerry

The green tinted full face shield is what I use. It's also nice to use at the bench grinder.

My LWS has nice goggles for about $10 made just for PC's, you might want to stop by yours and have a look. They also have full shade 5 face shields.

Last edited:
from hypertherm
Less than 40 amps.......shade 5
41-60 amps..................shade 6
61-300 amps................shade 8

I have a 40amp plasma, I use my speedglas 9000x auto darkening helmet with it turned off (shade 5).... A silver sharpie works great for marking for plasma cutting..

I just got a 3 in 1 plasma/tig/stick on e-bay yesterday so this is very timley for me. I also saw a chart showing my HF Blue flame unit with a low setting of 9 is not suited for mig when set low current of around 90 amps.
This is a good thread! So now I'll need a face shield of 5 or 6 and or special sun glasses.

Joe

Back