Glass vs. Magnetic DRO Scales - some info

Any one have a comparison of the SINO brand SLIM scale and how much more “slim” they maybe?
I purchased from eBay a slim type, and this was the manual they had that covered 3 other types. (See attached pdf).
The FTS5 is the slim type they sold me, and the drawing attached shows it to be 20mm wide, by 27mm high, not including the reader sliding head.

Attachments

• Scale drawing glass.pdf
    406.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Scale installation dimensions.jpg
    Scale installation dimensions.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 3
<snip>
I hope this will be helpful for the folks who are deciding between glass and magnetic scales. If I missed anything, please feel free to ask questions.

Regards
Yuriy
So I just purchased from an ebay seller a 1 micron pair of scales and LED DRO readout. Unfortunately they sent 5 micron resolution scales. The seller wants to send me just the reader head to fix this. I thought the glass scale in conjunction with the reader determined the resolution.
Will this sellers solution work? They did not want to send me the whole 390mm long pair of scales. I'm putting this on my surface grinder hence I purchased it purposefully for the 1micron scale, at least for the grinding wheel height adjust.

In a previous article on cutting glass scales, the author used Plasticine modeling clay on the glass scale to dampen any vibrations that might cause cracking.

Back