Glass Scale On The Compound?

kingmt01

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to drop a bunch of cash on some glass scales. I was intending to put a scale on the compound but with some thinking about it now I don't know.

Is it useful to use a scale on the compound? Do any of you use one?

I have never taken the time to put any scales on my lathe. I really don't use my compound very much but while I'm already setting it up I don't know if I should go ahead & do this one or not. It would kind of make setting up the DRO odd since it would total into the y axis differently each time you adjusted the angle of it. I guess I could just have it on its own reading & add it when there is a need.

Seems like it would be tricky to do a clean install, that is without the scale getting in the way of the work envelope. Unless you have a very big lathe?

Good point. I don't have a big lathe but I could probably could fit it in for most things. I guess If I do buy it I could always mount it with magnets so it can be removed. If I'm doing a temp mount tho I could probably just use one of the iGuaging ones I have.

I have one on my 17 x 80 Summit and had one on the Colchester student I had. Wouldn't have a dro on a lathe without one to be honest. The one I have now sums the compound and carriage scales or will show either. I use a dial indicator to square the compound to the bed so I can rough up to a shoulder or bottom of a bore then use the compound for the last few thou. Its a bit of a nuisance having to readjust the compound angle after threading but not a big deal. If I ever get around to putting a dro on the Hardinge it will definitely be 3 axis.
Not a great photo but you can see the compound scale.
IMG_1688.jpg

On the Colchester.
IMGP1402.jpg

Greg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

Dang it. I had just decided to not buy that one. Now you have me on the fence again.

Have you considered putting a magnetic scale on the compound as they are much more compact and impervious to coolant. Much easier to fit and less likely to get in the way
Ron

Have you considered putting a magnetic scale on the compound as they are much more compact and impervious to coolant. Much easier to fit and less likely to get in the way
Ron
No. I hadn't considered that.

DRO PROS have a picture on their website of a magnetic scale on a compound. It's picture 11.

I installed one in a similar manner on my lathe.

3 axis el700 on both my lathe and mill from these guys. Customer service is outstanding.

Last edited:
Back