Getting a mill...need info

ChrisW

Registered
Registered
I am pretty sure that I will be picking up a mill this week. I found it sitting under a tarp at a local machine shop and the owner offered it to me for $100 (that's not even scrap prices). It has some rust issues (minor, I hope), but it ran when set outside 3 months ago. I hope to nurse it back to good health.

I think it is a Cincinnati Toolmaster with a Bridgeport head(stepped pulley). The mill's serial number is 6J1V5G-250.

I am curious as to the weight of this thing. I am thinking around 2000 lbs. I am trying to figure an approach to moving it. Thoughts are to remove the head and ram as one piece and transport that. Then transport the base and table as another piece. Wondering what the base/table weight would be?

I am also looking for a manual for this. Anyone have any leads?

Any info or thoughts from you people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Do you have an engine hoist or something that you can use to move this thing. Even in pieces it's quite heavy. The base and table are probably the bulk of the weight, 2/3rds of the total weight maybe, with the head and ram removed. No matter what, you need some artillery to move this stuff.

The best thing I did last time I moved some heavy equipment was to go and rent a drop-deck trailer like this one:

cougar_0030_Drop-Deck-Trailer.jpg

You can transport it all in one piece as long as you use proper tie-downs. It makes loading so much easier.

-Ron

cougar_0030_Drop-Deck-Trailer.jpg

A pallet jack and a low trailer are a good combo, I used the haul 5x8 trailer to tow my lathe. I this k the weight limit is around 2500 lbs. Unfortunately you need a way to get it onto a pallet. A pallet jack can b rented for around 40$ a d the trailer goes for $30... you might need pump jacks or hydrallic jacks to get her into the air enough to place the pallet under it... salty suggestion sounds pretty good.

Good luck!

Rich

An engine hoist will bw indispensable. Once you pick it up I would set it back down on a heavy duty furniture dolly and use that to maneuver it to it's final location where the engine hoist can pick it again and set it exactly where you want it. I am building (welding) a 1.24 heavy wall square tubing tray for my mill base to sit in so that I can use pads and bolts to level it and keep it in one place even on an imperfect floor surface.

Bob

I should have a fork lift available at the pick up location. At my end I have a back hoe available to lift it from the trailer and set the mill in front of the shop door. Then it's a simple matter of rolling it into the shop on 1/2" pipes. I did it this way for my lathe and it worked out fine. The reason for splitting it into two pieces is to reduce the top heavy aspect of the mill. Makes it a little safer to move. I do have an engine hoist for reassembling it once it's in the shop.

As for disassembling it, I assume it's just a matter of four bolts to separate the turret from the base. I have only seen the mill for a couple of minutes and am going off of what other vertical mills are like.

Again....anyone have leads on a manual for parts breakdown and adjustments?

Thanks again
Chris

Spend the money for a tow truck, they have a winch and a tilt bed. Good money spent. Tim

Hi Chris, lets see, the complete manual & parts are online; google cincinnati toolmaster and right click it and save it maybe in "my documents"
after that I put it in one of them flash drive things then loaded the flash drive into the shop computor (we dont have cable there). Or
print it, they get big bucks for manuals for these. The weight is more around 3,000 and maybe a little more depending on options. These
mills have always been concidered a high end machine. Although in any make theres always a good and bad. They score an A+ on being
rigid. You are NOT going to beleive this but my last three digits is #251 and yours is #250 "thats amazing". For a 100 bucks hire somebody
with a backhoe or hire a rollback. My Ford pickup handled it like a piece of cake. So I guess my mill has a brother.

GET It!!! see if this manual will open for ya click on it
sam

Attachments

• Cincinnati-1-Toolmaster-Mill-Service-Parts-Manual (1).pdf
    57.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back