German Milling Machine Purchase ?

AlanM

Registered
Registered
I am seriously considering purchasing a Optimum BF-16 milling machine . The price is around $1000. It appears to be a small extremely well made and a precise , expertly constructed unit .
If anybody has any advise it would be welcome ...................Alan

Alan, I've had some experience with Optimum lathes and I can tell you that there is very little of German origin there. They're Chinese machines that are supposed to be built to higher standards for Optimum. In the case of the lathes I had, the DRO and all of the electric were good quality. The rest of the machines were average Chinese quality. I'm not familiar with the mill you're considering but I'd be surprised if it was manufactured in Germany .

Thanks Chuck , maybe I should reconsider the mill ........................Alan

AlanM,
Welcome to HM!!
I don't know anything about your proposed machine.
Regardless, I wish you well and am looking forward to your future questions and active participation.

Daryl
MN

I'm sure if you research it a little you will find some reviews on the machine....maybe that's a decent price for it. If it's made in Taiwan it might be a decent mill. You could also compare it to the comparable model from Grizzly.

One thing I noticed is that this machine has a quill I'm not familiar with the Sieg . Do they have a quill ?

I would think it would be hard to use without a quill. The only way you could bore would be by elevating the table. I've never seen a mill without a quill.

AlanM,
Welcome to HM!!
I don't know anything about your proposed machine.
Regardless, I wish you well and am looking forward to your future questions and active participation.

Daryl
MN
Thanks for your good wishes Daryl.................Alan

I'm sure if you research it a little you will find some reviews on the machine....maybe that's a decent price for it. If it's made in Taiwan it might be a decent mill. You could also compare it to the comparable model from Grizzly.
The Grizzly looks like a much better machine . I could not afford a more expensive Mill we are 76c to the American dollar plus the postage to Australia . Thanks anyway Chuck .............Alan

The only vertical mills I've seen without quills, are basically horizontal mills, that have vertical head attachments, like a Schaublin 13 and some Van Normans and my cousin's Cincinnati.

Back