General Surface Grinder Questions

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I keep wanting to ask, what is a surface grinder useful for typically?

Hmmmmm....Grinding Surfaces :grin:

Seriously, precision grinding of flat surfaces, typically to <0.0001 on hand machines. The markings on the Z axis hand wheel is typically 0.0001. They can also be used to grind shapes in parts. With proper shaping tools, the grinding wheels can be shaped to angles and radii for grinding these shapes into the part. Normally used in tool & die work. With proper tooling, can also be used to sharpen end mills and other tool bits.

If you need one I have a spare;)

Best use in a Hobby Shop, unless you have a tool grinder, it will grind end mills (on the end) until they're used up. There are a number of end mill holders just for sharpening them on a surface grinder.

What is the best tool holder for a surface grinder?

A Surface grinder is most useful in covering everything in the shop with a fine coat of highly abrasive, nasty grit. Even with dust collection(mandatory) and overhead air cleaners the dust still covers everything. For use they are the best set up for truing centers, precision pins, surfaces that interface with other surfaces. Most all of the text books on Machine Shop Operations have a section on grinders.

michael

What is the best tool holder for a surface grinder?

Well, given that the wheel is actually the ''tool'' on the surface grinder, then I would say the hub would be the best tool holder.;)

If you are asking about a holder for an end mill or something like that, then there are fixtures for holding them at the correct angles for sharpening. However, sharpening an end mill on a surface grinder is a bit of a PITA in my opinion, that is why tool & cutter grinders were invented. A spindex is also a good universal work holding device for round things. Just putting the work on the magnetic chuck is a pretty good way of holding larger, flat parts. A tool makers vice is many times is the best work holder, and that, in combination with a sine plate can generate compound angles. Radii can also be cut if you have a radius dresser for the wheel. You can do a lot of stuff on a well tooled surface grinder.

I hope this kind of answers your questions.

A Surface grinder is most useful in covering everything in the shop with a fine coat of highly abrasive, nasty grit. Even with dust collection(mandatory) and overhead air cleaners the dust still covers everything. For use they are the best set up for truing centers, precision pins, surfaces that interface with other surfaces. Most all of the text books on Machine Shop Operations have a section on grinders.

michael

Ain't that the truth. That's why you do all of your grinding wet. Flood coolant is the only way to go.

Surface grinders use a magnetic chuck for holding work.

I have a 4" boat anchor Chinese milling vice that I wanted to use on my shaper,. It took a number of cuts to get it within a thou. My SG is only a Delta Toolmaker, a half thou machine.

Back