Game Of Inches

As a general principle, I've noticed many shops have tools around the perimeter and work projects in the middle. Good match for my garage. Having nearly everything on wheels seems practical for a number of reasons. Wheel locks just make sense for anything in the shop. I do plan on having my drill press on the floor - but moving a drill press doesn't worry me should I place it in a bad location. The lathe, on the other hand, means significant effort to change locations. A surface grinder and mill are on my 'want' list. Which tools would you say take priority in terms of placement and/or work flow (sure it depends on what your doing, but from your perspective which trumps)?

In my old shop the lathe was close up against the wall, I never had an issue with cleaning or access. I would leave as much of the center floor clear as possible, a work bench that can be accessed from all sides is a big plus in my opinion.

Which tools would you say take priority in terms of placement and/or work flow (sure it depends on what your doing, but from your perspective which trumps)?

For me that is decided strictly by weight then by set up considerations. I consider my 1916 Cincinnati milling machine (11,000 lbs!) to be fixed, even though it is not bolted down. The lathe has been carefully leveled on the bench and I know the slab is not "flat", so I do not move it around. Nearly everything else is on wheels and does get moved around....save for a cabinet and another bench that is attached to a wall.

-brino

My messy welding table has retractable wheels it is heavy but can be moved around easily

image.jpegWhen you step on the bar below the handle it lifts the table 2" and a t bar drops down keeping the wheels locked down , when you get where your going step on bar again and t bar pushes away and it's back on its legs again. Works good for me :grin:.

Back