G4003 change gear specs.

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, I'm Lee and I'm a cheapskate. I got a lathe without change gears and I'm not paying what they want for a set. I want to cut my own. I measured up some that are in the drive train and kept coming really close to mod 1.5. I'm thinking that they are indeed mod 1.5 Now as to pressure angle I have no Idea. All of the involute cutters I find in module 1.5 are listed as having a pressure angle of 20 degrees. I think those are going to be the right cutters for me. I would love to hear from anyone who knows all the dirty details on these change gears. Grizzly was no help, and I'm just not certain.

Hi Leeq,
i possibly have another solution for you...
i went and took a module 1.5 24 tooth gear and adapted it for a 14mm keyway with a 3mm slot.
i can print these gears in PLA plastic in many common tooth counts
if you are game to try one, let me know i can print it.
the only things i will need to know are
tooth count
bore diameter/(with or w/o keyway)
thickness

check out the gear i was able to design quickly....

If they're metric gears, it's almost a given that they're 20° PA. As a manufacturer, you'd have to go out of your way and have very good reason for doing something oddball.

I think they are metric. I'm not 100% on that.

Mike, the 40 tooth in my gear train is 10mm thick with a 16mm bore and a 5mm keyway. I'm pretty sure the change gears match that one . Except the 60 tooth that makes the metric world go 'round. It is going to be 10.07 thick with a 40mm boss on one side that is 8.84mm thick bringing it to 18.91mm thick total. It has a 19mm bore with a 5mm keyway, and the opposite side of the boss from the keyway has a set screw to bear on the shaft. I just pulled the lower 40 tooth gear to get those numbers for the 60 tooth that replaces it for metric set ups. I found a stamp on the back side of it that said 40T m1.5. It would seem I'm on the right track anyway.

I will want to cut some metal gears for my limited metric needs. If I can't get any solid confirmation I might trouble you for a 40 tooth print up to check against. I don't think it will come to all that though.

Wow, that's perfect. You went right for the fancy one.

the simple ones are the 10mm thick ones with 16mm bores and 5mm keyways. They are listed as 26,27,35,36,45,50 teeth. You already did the main one. So do I have this right, you can print a plastic copy of that file you made? My 7x12 has hard plastic change gears and they seem to work. I would think that these would work for a bit of threading, if not for big hogging cuts. What do you all think?

Back